Oh Snap!

ETA: I have now fixed the link to the Snap Bag video. Sorry!

Have you seen these little snap bags? I admit, I am a bit slow to the party as they first started showing up several years ago. I decided to try making a few this week. I used The Gourmet Quilters Youtube tutorial which can be found here.

They open up when you squeeze the ends and “snap” closed when you let go.
I think they would be good for little items like my earbuds.

The genius part of these is that the closure is made with little bits of a regular metal tape measure. I bought this one at the dollar store. You can cut it with scissors.  I put painters tape on the end so it wouldn’t retract into the tape measure after cutting the tab off.

I am thinking about making some more. Maybe I will make zipper bags next. I’m not sure but I quilted up another piece of my hand dyed fabric to use. I wanted a wandering feather so I quilted a large squiggle across the piece. Then I went back and added feathers. First to one side:

And then to the other side.

I find little bags like this are a great way to use up those bits of machine quilting practice.

Linking up with A Quilted Passion

8 Responses to Oh Snap!

1. Deb says:

Is there any thing that you do to the ends of the tape so it doesn’t cut the fabric as it snaps open and closed again? Neat idea for little Christmas gifts!

2. PattiP says:

I was wondering about how to finish the ends of the tape so they’re not sharp. I would have never thought of using that tape measure! Thanks also for showing that filler feather. I’m still not getting that as well as I want. This was inspiring me to get it on the top of the practice queue again. Maybe some doodling at work today between calls.

3. Luann says:

Katy,
    I just finished reading over your post of UFOs from back in January. How have you done on completing them? I know you’re very productive and I’ve seen a lot of finishes just in the past few months. Just wondering how others are getting along on their projects to be finished.
    Have a blessed day,
    Luann

Love, love, love this idea. I never thought of getting the metal tape measure at the dollar store! Your quilting is superb, Katy. That last photo takes my breath away.

5. QuiltShopGal says:

Total #CreativeGoodness. Excellent way to use a practice FMQ sandwich too!

QuiltShopGal

6. Donna says:

CUTE little bag! The Gourmet Quilter’s tutorial was great. I like her idea to make longer ones for eye glasses or rotary cutters. Now I can add a trip to the dollar store for a little tape measure, to my errand list. 😀 I love the meandering feathers. One day I will be brave enough to try this, For now I will stick to linear.

7. Gina says:

Love the quilting of the feathers. I was given a snap bag years ago and use it for my crayons. It’s so useful. Thank you for posting the tutorial as I’d love to make some to keep in my handbags

8. I just learned this technique last night — making a large swirl/stipple and then going back to quilt around it. I don’t think I’m that skilled yet, but an awesome idea. Love the quilting on your snap pouch.