…..call for desperate measures!
I appreciate everyone’s suggestions for improving my binding on these little bits! And they helped! Thank you all! I think I tried everything on these mug rugs and found what worked and didn’t work for me.
Jayne mentioned that Crazy Mom Quilts has a tutorial for binding small things here. I tried that first. But I didn’t do a good enough job of pinning or something and ended up adjusting the end. See how there was too much fullness? I think I was afraid of cutting it too close!
Smaller than when I started but this is so much better! As Janet suggested, the next one I sewed first and figured out the length at the end like I normally do on a big quilt. This is so much easier when using a single layer of binding fabric! I cut my strips at 1 1/4 inch wide per her suggestion. Gina suggested pressing the hem under on the back before hand stitching. This was a great tip as well.
Not perfect but better than the last one!
I line up the ends and press a fold, then use that fold as a sewing guide. And yes, I know you are supposed to sew binding strips together on a diagonal. But I don’t. I do press the seams open. The quilt police haven’t hauled me off yet.
Thanks again for all the help everyone offered! I am feeling much better about my bindings on these small pieces now. Have a lovely Saturday!