Finish It Up Friday!

Today I am going to show you the two baby quilts that I finished last week. I wanted to make a couple quick and bold quilts that would be suitable for boys.  Here is the flying geese quilt before washing.

And after:

And a look at the back:

Here is the second quilt before washing.

And after:

I like the first one much better. Probably because the quilting is much tighter. I wanted them to be soft and my tendency is to overquilt. But I like it that way!

I used Warm and White batting for both of these. It is a very flat batting. I think the quality is very good. I loved using this when I was still quilting on my domestic machine. However, now that I am long arming, I prefer something with a bit more loft. I am still looking for my favorite batting but I do prefer cotton poly blends. Hobbs 80/20 is good and I also like Pellon Legacy. But I am still looking ….

Linking up with Crazy Mom QuiltsRichard and Tanya Quilts, Confessions of a Fabric AddictQuilt Shop Gal

This entry was posted in Baby Quilts, Finishes. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Finish It Up Friday!

1. Quiltmouse says:

Thank you for sharing the before & after washing pictures. I’ve used Warm & Natural cotton batting, but for most of the baby quilts I make I use Quilter’s Dream Poly / Respect (thin) batting. I’m thinking that with all the washing baby quilts get, the poly will dry faster. I use my domestic Bernina to quilt my quilts and I’m still working on how much to do. I want it held together, but I want it to be a cuddle quilt, too. Have a great weekend!

2. Like Quiltmouse I enjoy using Quilters Dream poly if I’m using 100% poly wadding otherwise I’ve been using Hobbs 80/20 because it doesn’t need to be prewashed and it’s OK to hand or machine quilt. I tried sewing together two pieces of a thicker poly wadding today – disaster! I used a wide zigzag stitch but the join felt really flat and stiff, worse still it puckered and distorted really badly!

3. Jayne says:

Gorgeous! I love the crinkle goodness! I’ve always used warm and natural. I have never had any issues. It just works for me!! I’m in love with the quilting of both, but especially the first one!

4. QuiltShopGal says:

Beautiful quilt. Absolutely total #CreativeGoodness. Thanks for sharing and inspiring.

QuiltShopGal

5. audrey says:

Love them both! Your stitching makes them just perfect. I would have been thrilled to have quilts like these when my kids were just babies.:)

6. Jenny Robinson says:

Those are some good looking quilts! It’s amazing what a good washing can do to quilts that give them the best look ever.

7. Such lovely quilts – and such a difference when washed. Interesting to hear your batting choices because I have just started longarming too and am on the same hunt!

8. JanineMarie says:

Ooh, what yummy crinkle-ness! I’ll be looking forward to what you settle on for your favorite batting. I have a hard time deciding, and then after I make a quilt and give it away, I forget how it felt, and then I have to start all over again with the decision making. I’m trying to build up a little sample packet of quilt sandwiches, hoping that will help in the future.

9. love the minimalism of both! they are super and some babys are gonna love them.

10. Patty M says:

I use warm and natural or warm and white and quilt mine pretty close together and they get really cuddly after a couple washings. I don’t prewash my fabric or batting and like the look of them unwashed when they are displayed on a bed.

11. Such simple quilts yet so very striking. Great job.

12. Pingback: Design Wall Monday ~ Noteworthy | KatyQuilts