Finish It Up Friday!

The sister quilt is done! I really love how this one came together.

It all started with these 2 1/2 inch strips cut from my collection of Denyse Schmidt prints.
I wanted to choose a pattern that was reminiscent of an Irish Chain. I used Anne Dease’s book, Bits and Pieces and only changed the pattern slightly! Here are some pictures before washing:

And some after washing:

You might remember that I cut my backing too short and had to add a piece while it was on the frame. Here is a peek at the seam that I made.

I can live with that! This quilt ended up 64 x 82 inches. It shrunk up quite a lot, about 4 inches in width and 6 inches in length. But I expected that since I didn’t prewash anything.

My sister received the quilt on Wednesday. I think she liked it. 😊

I’ll be leaving in the morning for Phoenix. I can’t wait! I have posts scheduled for nearly every day that  I am away, including a fun guest post for Quilting is More Fun Than Housework! I will likely check in with a few baby pictures as well :).

I will surely keep up with reading every comment. But I may be too busy with my kids and those two cute grandsons to respond much.

Linking up with Confessions of a Fabric Addict, Richard and Tanya Quilts, Crazy Mom Quilts, Quilt Matters, A Quilting Reader’s Garden, Sew Can She, She Can Quilt

This entry was posted in Bed Quilts, Finishes. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Finish It Up Friday!

1. Kathy D says:

Sweet quilt, great longarming, but the best part is that happy smile on your sister’s face.

2. Love, love, love that texture!! Gorgeous quilt!

3. Barb Vedder says:

Liked it? I’m sure she loved it – looks so beautiful

4. Kathy says:

No surprise that your sister loved that quilt … what’s not to love. 😉 Have a safe trip and enjoy those little ones!

5. Tish says:

What a beautiful finish. From the look on your sister’s face, I’d say that quilt will lead a happy life and have a lot of love and memories.

6. Great looking finish! I’m sure your sister will cherish and love it. Have a wonderful trip!

7. Cécile says:

Be sure she loved it !! It’s an awesome quilt Katy, and made with love……
    Bravo !!! 🙂

8. Janet O. says:

Turned out terrific!

9. GigTog says:

Your beautiful quilt is going to get soooo loved up! It’s fabulous!

10. dezertsuz says:

Have a great time in Phoenix. I’m jealous, as I dearly loved my life there. Your quilt is wonderful! I like the pattern, and that’s a super pantograph for the design.

11. PattiP says:

It turned out great. I love the quilting as usual. Sometimes I have to remind myself to look at the quilt as well as the quilting lol! But Irish Chain is one of my faves. What a sweet picture of your sister. I know you’re going to have a wonderful grandmother visit.

12. After all the angst with this quilt, it has turned out to be just lovely! You really do beautiful work, Katy.

Julie @ Pink Doxies

13. Yes, she looks very happy with it indeed! It’s beautiful! Thanks for linking up with TGIFF!

14. Carie says:

Oh it’s gorgeous! Such lovely colours and the quilting is stunning!

15. Lovely quilt! I love how the stitching just shines in the outside photos.

16. I really, really, really like this one, and it surely looks as if your sister does, too! Just beautiful, lovely quilting, too.

17. JanineMarie says:

Have fun with the grands!

18. The quilt is beautiful. The quilting really makes it special!

19. Edwina Finet says:

It is always fun and inspiring to see how your quilts and projects progress. The quilting is just the “icing on the cake”. Thanks for sharing and enjoy those little (and bigger) ones! Safe travels.

20. Congrats on a gorgeous finish!

21. Great finish. Looks like your sister is very pleased. Enjoy the grandchildren.

22. Nicky says:

Fabulous scrappy quilt and great quilting. Your sister looks very happy with her gift. Thank you for linking up to #scraptastictuesday

23. Ann says:

So many nice details including the quilting and the charming fabric you used for binding. Congratulations on a beautiful finish.

24. Pingback: Blogger’s Quilt Festival ~ Little Sister Quilt | KatyQuilts