Work in Progress Wednesday

I finally decided on a design for my sister’so quilt. As I was messing around on EQ, I remembered an old book that I had from Quilt in a Day.

I originally bought  this back when we lived in France to teach a friend to quilt. It still has the Irish Chain feel I was going for. I got my strips cut before work.

And one set sewn.

When I came home on lunch, I got these sets subcut and one block laid out.

The book pattern calls for over cutting the background strips and then trimming the blocks to size. I cut the strips to the exact size to begin with. I understand why they do this and that they want beginners to be successful, but I find this unnecessary for myself.

This won’t be a quilt in a day because I don’t have a full day to devote to it right now.

I used this pattern to make this quilt for my nephew and his wife when they got married 15 years ago.

That is a picture of a picture and the quality is bad. But it is the only picture of this quilt that I have. And it only shows half of the quilt! It was huge. I quilted it on my 1955 Singer Model 201. It is made from all Repro 30’s prints.

In digging through old pictures looking for this, I realized I made an Irish Chain quilt for this same sister 16 years ago.

This is a full size quilt shown on a queen size bed. And it is another picture of a picture.

Linking up with Freshly Pieced, Sew Fresh Quilts.

10 Responses to Work in Progress Wednesday

1. Irish Chain is such a classic pattern. Looks like you will have (another) beautiful Irish Chain soon.

2. Kathy says:

That’s going to be a fabulous quilt … I can’t wait to see it finished up.

3. Kathy Davenport says:

This is going to be one sweet quilt. Isn’t it fun starting a new project?

4. redeemedsheep says:

I love Irish Chains. This one will be beautiful!

5. Bonnie in Va says:

Wonderful pattern for your fabrics. You amaze me in how much you get done BEFORE work. I think I need to get off my duff and start getting things done! Can’t wait to see as this quilt progresses.

6. Cécile says:

Lovely quilts !! As I can see, you loooove to make Irish chain quilts !!!

7. Gina says:

I’ve an Irish Chain on my bucket list, possibly scrappy. I need to pluck up the courage though as I’m not to good with scrappy. I’m too much of a control freak

8. Allison says:

I really like the combination of fabrics that you have pulled for this. I’m sure it’s been a lot of fun to look at your older projects and totally mix it up with new fabric choices. Looks like a good start!

9. kthurn says:

You must be an early riser and have long lunch breaks to get so much done!! Looks like you have a great start!

10. Zenia Rene says:

Great fabric choices for sis’ new quilt! I really like that pattern too.