Design Wall Monday

I hope you all had a great weekend, we sure did. I am still arranging and rearranging my log cabin blocks on the design wall.

In person, the contrast between the light and dark sides of the block doesn’t seem quite as pronounced. It helps to look at a picture of the blocks for that reason.

I also started something new. I have been wanting to make some baby quilts to have on hand. I made the blocks for this one yesterday.

The fabrics are from a layer cake of a line called Westwood by Martha Negley. This layer cake had quite a few duplicates in it. I used 30 of the squares for this and plan to use the other 12 in another baby quilt. This one will finish at 40″ x 48″. The other fabrics in the layer cake had a lot of lavender, coral, and a gold/tan color.

I also loaded up some fabric for a bit of play time at the long arm.

I plan to use some of these threads.

Looks like I have plenty to keep me busy this week! Check out what others have on their design walls over at Patchwork Times

11 Responses to Design Wall Monday

1. Kathy Davenport says:

Loving your log cabin blocks; bet it’ll be a stunning quilt. I once took pix of about a dozen layouts of a log cabin.

2. Quiltmouse says:

Love the log cabin – I think I like #3 the best. Yes to the camera being an important quilting tool! It shows the blocks in a different light, so to speak. I will sometimes just use the black and white feature to help with the contrast. When rearranging, it helps to remember how you had it first. Can’t wait to see what designs on the LA with all that pretty thread!

3. Kathy says:

I’ll admit that I’m partial to the two star settings for your log cabin … in part, I suspect, because that’s what I’m going to do with the next log cabin quilt I make. However, any setting you choose will result in a fabulous quilt!

4. Louise says:

I really like the first two settings as well. Have always loved the Log Cabin design because of the many settings that are possible. I have two baby quilts to get done by July. Hope I make it!

5. Ann says:

oh the possibilities for the log cabin I like them all. the thread is like a new box of crayons have fun

6. I really love that first layout!

7. Patti P says:

I like #1 for the log cabin. It’s a different layout than I’ve seen.

8. Cécile says:

Hello Katy !
    The first possibility is amazing for the log !

9. sdaurio says:

Love your log cabin. I just did one and had the same thing with the contrast showing better in pictures. I love the stars in log cabins. What about an off center star? And will you look at tray of sweetness, all those bright cones of glide thread. Looks like you’re going to have lots if fun with that!

10. Jan says:

I really like the 3rd layout for the log cabin blocks. Colors are beautiful.

11. Cyrella Casbohm says:

Hi! I love the layout of the top pic! What size blocks were you using?