Frankenbatting and Slow Stitching

I have a quilt in the frame that I am procrastinating on so I decided last night to tackle the batting scraps that have been accumulating for some time now. I hand several piles like this stashed here and there.

Actually, that is one of the smaller piles! I sorted first into batting pieces of the same type. Then used my rotary cutter to straighten the edges. Next I butted the edges up to each other and zigzagged them together. Lastly, I folded and labeled each piece with the size. This looks so much better!

I have more to do today but I am feeling motivated to get this done. It wasn’t as much of a pain as I thought so maybe I will follow a better job of keeping up with it.

I got another row of hexies done last night whike watching a movie. I plan to add a few more today as well. You all must be so sick of looking at this same thing week after week! Someday it will be done!

My favorite local antique festival is this weekend. The weather has been in the high 80s all last week, yesterday it poured, today it is windy with a high in the 50s. Not sure I will go after church or not! If not, I have a lot more cleaning and sorting I would like to do in the sewing room.  And there is that quilt in the frame….

Linking up with Kathy for Slow Stitching Sunday.

17 Responses to Frankenbatting and Slow Stitching

1. Quiltmouse says:

I’ve got similar piles of batting, but I usually only combine two pieces. But since I make table runners, tote bags, placemats, mug rugs, and baby quilts I can usually find something to use the smaller pieces for. Good for you for getting the batting organized & labeled!

It seems you have plenty of options for today. Great job on tidying up the bits and pieces of batting. It looks very nice stacked on the shelving. 🙂 My days have been spent at local nurseries, Home Depot and the like getting materials together for my raised beds. At my age, I just pace myself and plod along like a tortoise. haha

3. Mary says:

First, I love your blog! Could we see a photo of what it looks like when you have sewn two pieces of batting together? I usually just save for smaller projects, but this would help “visualize” what it looks like. Thanks!

4. Cécile says:

I’ m sure you will take the right decision after the church …. Love your hexies !!

5. Not tired of the hexies and cracked up at “Frankenbatting’ !! 🙂

6. Suzanne says:

I enjoy seeing your hexie project. The fabrics are just so perfect together!

7. I love your hexies! I need to do a sewing session with my batting scraps too.

8. Terri says:

Hi Katy,
    Do you use that batting tape also or just zigzag stitching?

9. Kathy Hoback says:

Katy, you are amazing! I don’t know how you manage to get so many things done! I just love looking at your beautiful quilts – maybe someday you will bog about how you manage your time? I would love to understand how you accomplish so much.

10. Kathy says:

I, for one, am NOT sick of your hexies! It’s cold here, too, so I’m going to crawl under my Kiss quilt and put in some stitches as soon as I get caught up here on the computer.

11. Donna says:

HaHa, Frankenbatting! You are so resourceful. I really wanted to go to the antique festival, too; but the weather kept me home. More time for sewing!

12. Looking good! (Would you consider coming here and sewing all my batting chunks together? LOL!)

13. Sarah says:

Good job! And I love hexies!

14. Cathie J says:

I have never joined pieces of batting. Then again I am really bad at keeping track of the types of batting that I have. I love watching your hexies. I like to look at the array of fabrics that you are using.

15. Deb says:

I could never get sick of your hexies! Great job joining the batting… I tend to wait until I need some and don’t want to get out the big roll so I piece together the little bits. Great job getting your’s all organized.

16. Such a great idea to deal with the batting, and then it feels like it is “free”!
    ENjoy your hexies!

17. I love sorting out piles of scraps once in a while – I can really understand your motivation in getting those batting pieces sewn together and stacked – adding labels to record the size is a step beyond what I’ve done, so far… And I agree with the other comments – it’s good to see the same projects returning to the blog as you work on them, so ‘no’ I’m not tired of the hexies!