Leaders/Enders

Bonnie Hunter has made this concept  famous. If you are not familiar with it, you can read more here. I often use pieces from the same project as leaders/enders but rarely a completely different project as Bonnie does. Since I had a project in mind to do that requires a bunch of tiny squares to be sewn together, I decided to give it another try. Remember these squares?

They are slowly turning into these:

Eventually, they will become a quilt like the one that Lori from Humble Quilts showed on her blog  last week. She calls it Blue Ridge Rendevous and kindly sent me the pattern after I did a bit of a test sew for her.
These are the pieces I had sewn earlier:

I have no timeline for this. However, once I get excited about a project, I tend to drop everything else  to finish. This is why I have never been good at leaders/enders!

These squares are cut 1 1/2 inches to finish at 1 inch.  I was able to get this far using these as leader/enders while making my 16 patch blocks.

Linking up with Freshly Pieced and Sew Fresh Quilts.

12 Responses to Leaders/Enders

1. Kathy says:

I can’t wait to see your 16 patches evolve. I was working on 2.5″ squares, sewing them into 2 patches as Leaders and Enders last year. I had them all lined up so I could make sure that I had a nice random blend of fabrics, but when I reorganized my sewing room, they got tucked away, and I haven’t taken the time to get them back out and set them back up. It doesn’t help that lately I’ve been doing most of my sewing at retreats (where space sometimes is limited). I definitely need to get them out and set up, so the next time I sit down at my machine, I’ll be ready to continue to work on my L&E.

2. Rosemaryflower says:

yes, this is efficient and good for the brain too…. I think. We need that- well, I do.
    I have several projects going, and then I start even another,. It is good to push through a few at a time.
    I try to remember to look at all of my design walls and see what I can do to advance my process.
    Your blocks look very nice

3. Donna says:

I learn so much reading your blog. I love this idea. I’m going to make an effort to get some of my scraps precut and give this a try. Thank you for sharing.

4. knitnkwilt says:

You could link with the monthly Leaders and Enders linky: http://aquiltingchick.blogspot.com/2015/05/leaderender-linky-party.html
    I do when I have actually sewn any. 🙂 I was quilting this month.
    I too am looking forward to seeing what comes of your project.

I’m familiar with Bonnie Hunter’s Leaders and Enders but I have yet to try it. You’re doing very well with them this time around. 🙂 I have zero time for sewing right now as my efforts are going into planting a raised bed vegetable garden.

6. I was given a popcorn tin full of cut 2 1/4 inch squares. I have made some into doll blankets and some in to hot pads, and I did make some blocks for a quilt challenge. Now I am trying to make the rest of them slowly into 4 patches of matching colors with the soscrappy color challenge each month.

7. Mary says:

Brilliant, you blocks are stunning! I love the idea of this but practically it doesn’t happen for me.

8. Kathy S. says:

Great scraps!

9. Faythe says:

I love using this method..saves me a lot of time

I like this idea! Thanks. Hugs,

11. Isn’t it fun! Bonnie Hunter changed my life. I find myself making 4 patches and nine patches all the time. I usually have no clue what I’ll use them for, but there they are when I need something in a hurry. I love how totally unrelated patterns and color just seem to all go together when you would certainly think they would NOT!

12. JanineMarie says:

I’ve always been intrigued by leaders/enders, and your progress makes me want to give it a try. I’m hesitant though because I usually make a huge mess with one project and can’t imagine trying to piece a second project at the same time without burying myself. Any tips on staying organized?