Finish It Up Friday

One of my goals for May was to finish this vintage log cabin top that Mr. Wonderful  gave me for Christmas 2013.

It needed a few seam repairs and didn’t exactly lay flat or square. It looks as though someone washed the top before I got it.

I removed lots of frayed snarls from the back! I decided to quilt a random grid across the top like I did with my vintage cheddar top. It has a few tiny tucks here and there but overall, I am quite happy with this finish.

As you can see, my lines are not evenly spaced. I eyeballed them and quilted them freehand. If this top were perfectly pieced, all the pink squares would line up. As you can see, they are not even close! So perfect spacing of quilting lines would emphasize the imperfection in the piecing.

I used a plain white for the back and a solid navy for the binding. I looked at this top in the same antique shop for years before it became mine. I am so glad it is now finished!

Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts, Richard and Tanya Quilts, Confessions of a Fabric AddictA Quilting Reader’s Garden.

This entry was posted in Finishes, Vintage Fabrics, Vintage Quilts. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Finish It Up Friday

1. What a beautiful finish for this antique quilt! The simple grid quilting becomes it well. Great work!

2. The grid pattern is perfect for this quilt. I haven’t seen that used all over a quilt before and I really like it. The design emphasizes the old fashioned look of the top – it looks so good!

3. Kathy says:

What a fabulous quilt you’ve got there. I’m sure you’ll cherish and enjoy it for years to come. Your quilting is perfect for it.

4. Donna says:

You “long-armed it into submission” ! I love the grid pattern – great choice, beautiful quilt.

5. Lois says:

The random grid was the perfect choice for taming this poor abandoned quilt. The original quilter would be thrilled with it.

6. Cécile says:

OMG !! You’ve done a wonderful work !

7. Kathy S. says:

Gorgeous! I love the blacks/blues for the background.

8. The random grid quilting is a great solution to wonky piecing. The quilt looks great. How big is this one?

9. Janet O. says:

It does look like it was meant to be. Wise choice, and a lovely finish for this vintage top!

10. Jasmine says:

Great job finishing this antique quilt top. It looks like it was meant to be. And what a thoughtful gift.

11. ann says:

Wow that is a great job! Beautiful navy and pink colour scheme. A man who buys that for you is indeed Mr. Wonderful! 🙂

12. JanineMarie says:

I think your grid is just right for a quilt with uneven seams. It will stabilize the quilt and make it strong enough to last a long time. And it looks wonderful!

13. Cathy L says:

What a wonderful save for the quilt top. Your choice of quilting was perfect. Congrats on a beautiful finish.

14. dezertsuz says:

Now there’s a husband who knows how to give a gift! What a gorgeous quilt.

15. Chantal says:

A beautiful quilt indeed. The quilt look so big on the fence or else the blocks are very small. How big are the blocks please? I really love it and I understand why you’ve been admiring it for years. I saved it as a “to-do one day” project. You have a sweetheart of a husband. Count your blessings.

16. Barb Vedder says:

what a great Log Cabin quilt. I love the pink centers. Great way to quilt it!

17. anudge says:

What a beautiful save, Katy! That grid quilting is just right for it and has stabilized it. Thanks for linking to WIPs Be Gone.