Finish It Up Friday ~ Fiesta!

I am so very happy with this week’s finish!  My dear MIL has provided the perfect name for it, Fiesta!  This is my favorite quilt finish so far this year.

The finished quilt measures 36″ x 42″.  I used most of a layer cake from Missouri Star Quilt Company, along with some solid scraps from my stash. You can find a free pattern on Craftsy of a similar quilt here. Mine has 3 inch finished HSTs.

I had so many great ideas regarding the color of quilting thread to use! I ended up going with Glide thread in a color called Khaki. In the bobbin, I used Superior Threads So Fine in lime green to match the back. Many people say to never use different color threads in the top and bottom but it worked fine for me on this quilt. I used Warm & White batting.

I had a blast playing with the quilting!

I was asked about the extra batting in this binding picture that I showed yesterday.

This is actually the first time I have done this. I wanted to make sure that the points of my HSTs were not covered by the binding and I still wanted the binding to be full. So I trimmed the batting and backing a 1/4 inch beyond the top and wrapped it around, hand stitching on the back. It worked  out quite well!

Thanks for bearing with all my pictures. I like to be able to go back and remember how I did things!

Linking up with Confession of a Fabric Addict for Can I Get a Whoop Whoop?, Richard and Tanya Quilts for LAFF, Lizzie Lenard Vintage Sewing for Free Motion Mavericks, and Preetty Bobbins for IQuilt.

This entry was posted in Finishes, Free Motion Quilting. Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Finish It Up Friday ~ Fiesta!

1. I LUV it. Don’t apologise for showing so many photos.

2. Hello Katy,

I absolutely love the combination of the vibrant colours with texture of the varied free motion quilting design. Super-neat binding. What a great finish!

No, I wouldn’t remember how I did half the things I do if I didn’t blog them. My planning is generally on scraps of old envelopes which end up on the fire.

Thank you for linking up with Free Motion Mavericks!

Love, Muv

3. Barb Vedder says:

WOW what a fabulous quilt!!! I love the colors and the quilting is incredible!!! WOW

4. redeemedsheep says:

This quilt makes my heart sing!!!

5. Anja says:

Ooooh….I don’t even know what to say. I LOVE IT!!! I am so going to make this quilt. You did an amazing job. It’s so colourful and bright.

6. Kay in MA says:

OMG!! I just LOVE it!! I love how bright it is! Fantastic job quilting it!!

7. It is so lively, happy, and feeds the hunger of a color lover.
    As far as thread goes, I rarely have the same type of thread on top and bottom. I think anything your machine is happy with is the right combination.

8. Kathy says:

Fiesta is a perfect name for that quilt! Your quilting is the perfect compliment … very well done!

9. Lynn in Madison says:

Katy, this is wonderful, great quilting and oh the color, love it, love it. love it. So inspirational! Thanks!

10. Bev Parrish - Goodyear, AZ says:

Love, Love this Quilt. Its such a Happy looking quilt. This gives me another quilt to add to my list of inspirational quilts.

11. Your quilt is stunning. Lovely colors and lovely quilting!

12. helen says:

I admire your quilting!! Beautiful!
    Never too many pictures – love them!
    So much to learn by seeing them, thank you!
    Best wishes!

13. Lois says:

It’s truly FABULOUS!! Everything about it is wonderful. Awesome job, Katy!

14. Myra says:

AMAZING! The quilt is wonderful but the quilting adds even more!

15. Cécile says:

Well…..Extraordinary ! Wonderful ! Amazing ! Gorgeous !
    Bravo Katy !! I luuuuuuuuv it !

16. Laura says:

Pretty colors and beautiful quilting!

17. Sophie says:

I love all the different quilting designs. What a lovely quilt! It is a Fiesta for the senses.

18. My, you did have a blast quilting that! But it is great fun and really suites the riot of colours

19. Beth says:

Love this! The colors and the quilting are amazing!

20. Lynn says:

That is certainly inspirational and just plain gorgeous! Colours and wonderful, quilting just amazing and the more photos the better!

21. Wow! Your Fiesta quilt is wonderful – I love it. Your MIL certainly did nail the name of it right on the head!
    Pauline
    perry94022 at hotmail dot com

22. Lovely to see the completed quilt after following it’s (very quick!) construction. It is stunning – your outdoor pictures really do the colours justice. And very clever to preserve the triangle points on the outer edges. 🙂

23. I love your quilt! The colors are amazing and the quilting is brilliant. Fiesta is the perfect name.

24. maartjequilt says:

Amazing colorful quilt. I absolutly adore your quilting. Congrats with this finish!!!

25. Andrée says:

What a great way to practice your FMQ. It’s really a beautiful quilt! Congrats.

26. Kathy says:

Your quilting is amazing! How did you approach this? Did you quilt the larger motifs first and then go back and fill in? Beautiful job!

27. Katy I am loving this quilt!! You did such a wonderful job on the layout and the quilting – it is stunning. Thanks for the great pictures – not a bother at all. I stopped by from Pretty Bobbins and I’m sure glad I did. Thanks for the inspiration!

28. Oh this is soooo inspiring Katy!! I loved all your pictures!! Before I even read your comment….I thought: “Oh she had fun quilting this one!” I’m inspired to try just letting myself enjoy some FMQ and I have some quilts for Project Linus that would allow me the freedom to do so.

29. PS: I pinned it to reinspire me!

30. Pingback: Bank Holiday Quilty Musings |