A Wonderful Gift!

Mondays are laundry days for me. I don’t work at the library on Mondays and after the weekend, we always seem to have plenty to wash. But not today. Mr. Wonderful did our laundry on Sunday afternoon so I could have more time to sew today. Wasn’t that sweet? And then, Daughter #3 made dinner so I didn’t even have to cook! I made good use of my time too. Remember these?

They got all sewn up into this:

I even got it loaded onto the frame! Now, I just have to decide what thread to use for the quilting.

I always struggle with this decision. I don’t have a huge selection of long arm thread yet.  What are your go to colors for machine quilting?

Hoping to get the quilting on this done before work today.  Linking up with Free Motion by the River for Linky Tuesday and I have to Say for Show and Tell Tuesday. Also linking up with Quilting Jet Girl for Thankful Thursday.

18 Responses to A Wonderful Gift!

1. Kathy says:

What a delightfully cheery quilt … I cannot wait to see it quilted!

2. Cécile says:

What a geometric and modern quilt !! I love it !! So cute……
    If I all understood, you ask us what color of thread we would chose ? Well, not the green, not the white (or transparent), I hesitate between the 3 others (I know it doesn’t help you ^^)…. maybe the purple ?

3. Paula says:

I too struggle with thread color, especially when you have many different colors, or light backgrounds within dark blocks. I probably would use the green.

4. Mim Sweigart says:

I love this quilt! It makes me happy to look at it—reminds me of my Fiestaware. Can’t wait to see it quilted!

5. Teresa Moore says:

When I have multi colors to quilt I choose my favorite and go with it. Usually orange for me.

6. sdaurio says:

you are one lucky girl, laundry and dinner done by the family so you can sew, how wonderful. I LOVE the quilt, that turned out so perfectly. My go to threads are usually Greys and Tans. I think if I had a wide selection of those I’d be able to quilt just about anything that came across the frame. I would go with a medium grey on this one. And if possible one with sheen, the beautiful colors of the quilt should be uninterrupted by the thread choice, just needs texture. Can’t wait to see what you do with this one.

7. The quilt looks really spectacular! I go for a bit of a cop-out with machine quilting and usually chose a variegated thread. YLI do a good range – the last one I used was ‘Great Barrier Reef’ which amazingly had all the colours (turquoise, orange, coral pink, purple, gold) in my quilt apart from green. Might be good for your quilt too but I guess you wont be waiting to buy new thread now its loaded on the machine!

8. Lois says:

It’s pretty amazing, Katy! Can’t wait to see the backing all quilted.

9. So fun, so pretty, so bright! Looks like a rainbow exploded!!!! I love it – it’s a perfect example of how simple blocks like HSTs can make an amazing, brilliant quilt!

10. Lara B. says:

This is so wonderful and vibrant Katy! It looks terrific! When my long arming friend quilted a vibrant Kaffe fabric quilt, she used a soft sage green thread. It looks great and blend really nicely with each color.

11. Your top is fantastic! I like to quilt with gold…

12. Terri Ann says:

What fun solids, I’ve got to try an all solid project. That verigated you have might be interesting with those colors, do you have leftovers to do a little tester on?

13. QuiltShopGal says:

Beautiful quilt. I learned from Cindy Needham to “puddle” your thread options onto your quilt to get a feeling of how it will look. And unless something says absolutely none will work, then decide of the threads you have which do you like the most and go for it. If not look ok, then that is the quilt that tells you it is time to buy another color. It does take awhile to build up a stash of threads, in various colors. I’m still building, but I tend to let my projects tell me it is time to buy more vs make do with what I have. I also like how Superior Threads has various “try me” bundles, but overall I try to shop and stock up when I find sales.

QuiltShopGal

14. What wonderful gifts of time your husband and daughter gave you! My go to colors for machine quilting are white, off-white, navy, black, light and dark gray, and variegated threads – which I would be tempted to find a rainbow variegated thread for this beautiful quilt top. 🙂 I use Aurifil 50wt in my APQS Millennium longarm.

15. Shauna says:

wow you can send your daughter and husband to visit me, it would be nice to have someone to do those things even if only occasionally. I love the top and I think I would use the bottom thread, it looks like it would be very pretty.

16. How great that your family’s supporting your art time! I love the triangles quilt. The colors I use most often in quilting are white, grey, black and red.

17. Beautiful quilt! Can’t wait to see it quilted!

18. kittywilkin says:

This is SO fabulously gorgeous! I seriously love it! My go-to thread is 50wt Aurifil, usually a grey. Although I may be with Yvonne on this one that I would need to find a rainbow variegated! Sewing time is such a great gift from your family 🙂 I completely understand how glorious days like that are!