Freehand Allover Feathers

I’ve been wanting to try freehand allover feathers for a while. I decided this envelope top would be a good place to try it out.

2015/01/img_1809.jpg
I started by drawing a widely spaced meander and then stitching it for the spine.

2015/01/img_1814.jpg
Then I went back to the beginning and began filling in feathers along one side.

2015/01/img_1815.jpg
I went back to the beginning again and stitched the feathers along the other side of the stem.

2015/01/img_1816.jpg
Then I advanced the quilt and stitched the stem again.

2015/01/img_1817.jpg
The quilting went very fast!

2015/01/img_1818.jpg
Here is a peak at the back.

2015/01/img_1819.jpg
This backing fabric has been in my stash for yeas. It was given to me so I really have no idea how old it is. I am going to use this Amy Butler print for the binding. It is also from my stash.

2015/01/img_1823.jpg
It has been attached by machine and I will do the hand sewing in the car today.

Linking up with My Quilt Infatuation for Needle and Thread Thursday.

9 Responses to Freehand Allover Feathers

1. Marly says:

What a surprising HST layout! I thought I’d seen them all, but i was wrong. This is such fun; placed like this the blocks look like open envelopes. Beautiful feathers too; you’re lucky to have enough space for a frame.

2. Kathy h says:

That turned out so pretty. I think that would be a great way to try and improve my feather skills.

3. knitnkwilt says:

I think you have mastered the free hand feather!

4. Kay in MA says:

Wow! It looks fantastic! Do you think I could do that with my domestic?

5. Heather says:

I wouldn’t have thought of that. It seems simple with drawing the stem first.

6. Jasmine says:

Beautiful! I will be trying this soon. I like how you described the stem as an extra large meander. What a great visual/mental cue.

7. Another great quilt Katy. Nice to find the backing and binding in your stash. Looking forward to seeing it off the frame and with binding attached – no pressure!
    Happy stitching,
    Allison

8. Lois says:

I couldn’t access your blog page for some reason last night but I see it fine now. I especially LOVED the close-up (pic #6). You’re doing an amazing job, Katy!

9. What a great job for your first time feathers! Love it!