WIP Wednesday

I’ve had a number of questions this week about my scrappy Hexie quilt. I do not use English Paper Piecing for hexies. I tried it once and didn’t care for it. Shocking, I know! Anyway, I piece mine as you would any hand pieced block. I cut my hexies using my die cutter, use a pencil and small ruler to mark the seams, pin, and piece. No papers!.

2015/01/img_18011.jpg
This is the die I used to cut my pieces.

2015/01/img_1812.jpg

2015/01/img_1810.jpg
You may notice that this die is marked Accucut and not Accuquilt. It is the same company but they made die cutters for educational purposes long before they marketed them to quilters. Accucut dies will work in my studio cutter. If you have any questions regarding die compatibility, contact them. They are very friendly and helpful.i bought this die because it was on sale at the time and the size I wanted.

2015/01/img_1811.jpg
The die has a 2 inch cut edge and gives a 1 3/4 inch finished edge. Odd size but since. Am just using it with other hexies, it makes no difference to me. Here is a peak at the back.

2015/01/img_1813.jpg
I have also machine pieced these and wrote up a tutorial for that here.

Now I need to go do some cutting before work! Linking up with Lee at Freshly Pieced for WIP Wednesday and She Can Quilt for Scraptastic Tuesday.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to WIP Wednesday

1. Cécile says:

Don’t use any paper for hexies, is not shocking for me, but brave yes !! 😉
    I never use a die since I began patchwork. I draw the patterns on bristol !
    Your scrappy is very nice ! I love it !!

2. Lois says:

All those short, intersecting seams would drive me bonkers, Katy. I certainly admire [all] your work though.

3. I want one of those cutting machines!!
    I bet it looks much nicer putting the hexagons together that way than with the papers. I have so many hexagons to get basted and put together. It’s a forever project for sure.

4. Maureen says:

The back of your hexagons looks great – I have to try hand piecing them.

5. Nicky says:

Me too! Making my clamshells like this! Thanks for linking up this month to #scraptastictuesday

6. Kathy says:

I love your hexie project! Even with a larger hexie like that and your cutter, I’m not sure that I have the patience to deal with all those intersecting seams. And I worry that I won’t be accurate in marking the stitching line. I’m afraid I’d get too impatient and get a little sloppy.

7. Ann says:

What beautifully precise work! I like the result much better than EPP.

8. Sherri says: