Hmmmmm……what to do…..

I mentioned yesterday that I wanted to quilt one quilt for myself this month. Yesterday, I pulled out the top I was thinking of to take a closer look.

IMG_1417.JPG
This is a vintage top that I purchased for a whopping $15 a few years back. This top is all machine pieced.

IMG_1421.JPG
And I think someone was quite proud of her new sewing machine; just look at the detail added to the pieces!

IMG_1418.JPG
This detail stitching was apparently done before the piecing. I think it is charming, but it does present an issue. How to quilt this without taking away from the stitching? It has taken me a while to come to an answer. I decided a close, all over crosshatch would be a great way to finish this top without taking away from the maker’s design ideas. I absolutely love the cheddar!

In taking a closer look, I discovered it was not quite ready for quilting. The borders have ripples and it would be easier to remove and reattach them than to deal with that in the quilting stage. It also has this:

IMG_1420.JPG
I am not sure the best way to tackle a repair right here. I hate to just remove this since it has the stitching on it. Any suggestions?

Also, any idea what this block is called? I don’t think I have ever seen this one before.

IMG_1419.JPG
I know many would cringe at the thought of finishing this vintage top with machine quilting. However, the quilter here clearly loved her machine and used it as much as she could. I think she would approve.

Linking up with Free Motion By the River for Linky Tuesday.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Vintage Fabrics. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Hmmmmm……what to do…..

1. Carole says:

HI Katy, quilt it as you like, nothing wrong with machine quilting a vintage quilt! Visiting from Freemotion by the River Linky Tuesday. Carole @ From My Carolina Home

2. sdaurio says:

That is definitely a unquie block that I don’t think i’ve ever seen before. I would try a little spot cleaning on one area with some oxyclean or something. It is a beautiful quilt and will be even more of a treasure after you quilt it! I think the cross hatching will work great and really make the patter shine. Do you have any idea what year it was made? It has such a modern feel to it.

3. Terri Ann says:

I agree that machine quilting is inorder for this one! It’s quite lovely and you’re very brave for taking on a project like this. I dont’ know that I’d be up for the challenge. I’d probably replace the blocks that are torn and do the same yellow machine detail that the original sewist did. Best of luck, can’t wait to see how it turns out!

4. Could you repair the hole by attaching a patch of white fabric on the front – almost like a piece of applique then use your quilt stitches to disguise it? I’ve enjoyed the excuse to look through Judy Hopkins’ ‘501 Rotary-Cut Quilt Blocks’ but can’t see anything close to the block in your quilt. Maybe it was designed by the quilt maker? Anyway, enjoy doing this project for yourself.
    Allison

5. knitnkwilt says:

I checked Barbara Brackman’s Encyclopedia of Pieced Patterns (now available electronically as Blockbase), and the closest I found was #1355 called Merry Go Round by McKim and Eternal Triangle by Hall. The difference is in the outer corners. #1355 has a pinwheel where yours has two diamonds. Brackman’s list stopped at the 70s, and she doesn’t claim to be complete though she has 4000 patterns. She says there are small regional magazines she did not get to in some areas of the country. I love the quilt and agree it has a modern look with its reverse of color for the background and high contrast. I’d be stumped on what color to use for an all over design, and pain though it be, I would consider quilting in two colors.

6. Tlb says:

That is a very nice quilt. As far as the repair area, how about putting a label over it that says when purchased, who sewed it (if known), or pattern name. Can’t wait to see your completed project as I’m sure it will be outstanding 🙂

7. Sharon - IN says:

When I saw your thumbnail photo, I thought ‘vintage cheddar’!! Yep! it is! I’d say finish it as you like, maybe put a patch over the damaged spot. Enjoy!