Blogger’s Quilt Festival Fall 2014

Many of my regular readers will recognize this as a quilt I made last spring. I am reposting about it here as my entry into the 2014 Fall Blogger’s Quilt Festival hosted by Amy Ellis over at Amy’s Creative Side ย in the Modern Quilts Category.

This quilt was made from shirts belonging to my husband, son, son in law, and my father. All wonderful men that I love dearly. It was a fun experiment in improvisation! I still can’t decide if I like it best hanging like this:

20140410-222837.jpg

Or like this:20140410-222829.jpg

I had a blast quilting this. I quilted swirls in the negative space and a random grid in the shirting sections.20140410-222916.jpg 20140410-222907.jpg 20140410-222857.jpg 20140410-222850.jpg 20140410-222843.jpg

It has remained my favorite quilt since I finished it 6 months ago. That is a long time for me!

Please visit The Blogger’s Quilt Festival. There is so much eye candy to be found there!

AmysCreativeSide.com

This entry was posted in BQF, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Blogger’s Quilt Festival Fall 2014

1. Cille says:

It’s really cool that it’s made from shirts belonging to 3 generations. And awesome quilting too ๐Ÿ™‚

2. What a special quilt! The change in quilting between the negative space and focus material is a great touch, and I love how that translates into the backing.

3. sdaurio says:

This is definitely one of my favorites of yours. I love that the fabric came from those that mean so much. I love the curls and swirls quilting in the white and then the straight line on the shirts. I love the improve, I could never do it. Love love love.

4. Sharon says:

Oh Wow! I love this quilt! What fun to use shirts from the guys in your life, and to make a modern quilt with them too. Great improv and great use of negative space. And your quilting adds just the right contrast. Super job! No wonder it’s your favorite – it would be mine too!

5. Lea says:

I love this quilt! The plaids, the colors, the improv and that it was made from shirts from the men you love dearly. No matter which direction it goes it is a beauty!

6. Kathy says:

This is such a fabulous quilt on so many levels … the quilting, the fabrics and their significance, the design … just fantastic! Good luck!

7. Alycia says:

I do remember it – and it is still a favorite of mine too! you did a great job!

8. Camilla says:

Love your shirt quilt. I am in the midst of making one too, but it’s not finished for the festival. There is something special about repurposing worn out loved clothes.

9. audrey says:

Love that you used all those shirts! Really great quilt.:)

10. Jane says:

I love how you combined conservative men’s shirts with a modern style, and your quilting was perfect! Thanks for sharing!

11. How fascinating – I can’t make up my mind which way up I like it either – both work. You can swap around and have 2 quilts for the price of one!!
    What a lovely mommento of your menfolk!