Requilting a quilt?

I made this quilt about a year and a half ago. It was one of my first times using rulers and quilting feathers on my previous long arm.

IMG_0741.JPG

IMG_0742.JPG

Yeah, not so thrilled with the border. The feathers are bad enough but those baggy spots drive me nuts. I can’t stand to look at this anymore.

Have you ever added quilting to a quilt that was finished? Maybe I should take that whole border off. I am not sure how to tackle this so if anyone has suggestions, let me know! Thanks!

Linking up with Gemma at Pretty a Bobbins for I Quilt.

13 Responses to Requilting a quilt?

1. Carol says:

The same thing happened to me……I hand quilted a cross hatch where needed

2. Trudi Gardner says:

I would take off the border and outline the feathers. You did a great job on the quilting.

3. Shannon says:

I added a border to a finished quilt by cutting off the binding. Then I quilted the new border. Worked great. I think you should cut off your border instead of trying to fix the quilting that is already there. You can find the directions here: http://theflemingsnine.blogspot.com/2014/08/how-to-make-finished-quilt-bigger.html

4. Judy says:

I have added quilting to a finished quilt – have done it a couple of times actually and it worked out well. I didn’t cut anything off, I just added the quilting. What if you added echos to the feathers? Your feathers look great, and if you added echos to fill the gaps, I think it would finish it nicely. . . and you don’t have to cut it apart πŸ™‚ I’m not sure if you could do it on a long arm though. . .

5. Lois says:

I like Shannon’s suggestion. I’ll be interested to see what you end up doing, Katy.

6. I like Carol’s suggestion of adding some hand quilting πŸ™‚

7. Kathy says:

My first thought was to add echo quilting to the empty space in the border. Accentuate the feathers, fill in the empty spots, and smooth things out. I’ve never done anything like that, so who knows if it’s the (best) solution. Good luck with whatever you decide.

8. Kathleen says:

I questioned this once and one of the bloggers that I follow said she has added quilting to an already finished quilt, and I believe it was even after washing it.

9. Judy says:

I will be watching the comments because I have the same problem with a quilt I recently finished.

10. helle hilker says:

Thank you for showing a not-so-perfect-quilt πŸ™‚ I admire all you gifted quilters and it is good to see that not all of your quilts are easily made.
    I would remove the border althoug the color is perfect. I hope you have enough to put on a new one in the same color.
    Lot of good wishes from a quilter, who is just a beginner

11. Lin McQuiston says:

I would echo the feathers once, then stitch straight lines (beadboard) on both sides of the feathers. It will look great and fix the bagginess

12. I would definitely hand quilt the baggy bits with a cross hatch – it will look great and you will be so happy
    Pauline

perry94022 at hotmail dot com

13. Janet O. says:

I have echoed feathers on a finished little quilt and felt like it filled in the space just fine. But it was a dark border quilted with dark thread and I know it isn’t very obvious because of that.