Not Everything Turns Out…

I think it’s a bit unfair to only show your best work, or even your okay work. Sometimes you need to share the good, the bad, AND the ugly. So here are a few rejects from the last few weeks for your viewing pleasure (?).

Now that I’ve burned your eyeballs, I will remind you of this little bit of wisdom. You have to make a lot of crap, before something good emerges. I’m not disappointed in these designs. They are part of my crap quota.

I am a wife, mom of four amazing adult kids, and a former librarian. I love making everything from traditional quilts to art quilts. I am thankful to God my Father and Creator for the gift of creativity!

13 Responses to Not Everything Turns Out…

1. 123terri says:

Love your crap quota, #1 and #3 are great. Your post are always good for smiles and laughs.

2. jean says:

Not sure how large these CRAP pieces are, but if they are, say, placemat size, cut them into mug rug size and they would make great gifts! “still ugly, then you haven’t cut them small enough” is from Bonnie Hunter’s Quiltville blog about ugly fabrics. Works for something like this too?

You are hilarious!! 😂😂😂 I just love that you are so adventurous! Hugs,

4. Robin B says:

I loooove “crap quota”..still laughing

5. Jocelyn Thurston says:

I so needed this post! I’ve been “unsewing” all day it seems. Finally gave up and am reading about other peoples wonderful stitching.

Thanks for the post! I needed this post as I am struggling with my creativity right now because my last few projects have not worked out as I would have liked them to. Also, I kept thinking as I was looking at each of your ‘crap’ projects: But, I like that one…..How is that crap? LOL!

7. knitnkwilt says:

Look again after a break. Some were good designs. May not be what you had in mind, but good as they are. Meanwhile, I agree with showing flops as well as brilliance. 🤔

“Crap quota”! That’s a good one. LOL! They’re not that bad in my estimation and easily corrected.

9. dwdame says:

Hmmm….I must be close to making something exceptionally wonderful ’cause my crap quota is full!
    Thanks for the laugh this morning!

10. Kathleen says:

Slice and dice them. Put a strip across the middle and they will be all good. It’s how we learn for sure!

11. Sometimes those pieces that don’t thrill us can be cut up and repurposed, so don’t give up on them yet!

12. Nancy Caine says:

Hello Katy! I just want to let you know that I enjoyed reading your morning email today! You made me realize that I am not the only one that makes a few oopsies when stitching/quilting. Thank you for making my day Nancy

13. Jill says:

Thank you for sharing your ‘crap quota’. You started my day with a laugh! It is a good reminder though…not everything turns out perfectly. It’s a process and I’m guessing that you’ve learned along the way!