I promised to share more on the washing of this quilt.
This one deserved a good hand wash.
You might wonder why I washed it. The batting and backing were both new. One look at this water and you understand why. All that is from the top. All that dirt acts like sand paper on the fibers. This was the first wash.
This was the third wash. I used baby shampoo.
I followed that with four rinsings. This is the last.
I pressed on the quilt to get as much water as possible out. I followed that up with rolling in towels. Then I spread it out on a clean sheet in the backyard.
I covered it with another clean sheet and left it out until it was almost dry. Then I put it in my dryer. And here it is! So much brighter!
The back crinkled up nicely, hiding my stitches.
And my repairs blend in even better now.
Here’s a good before and after. The first photo was taken just after I purchased this as a tied quilt.
And after quilting and washing.
Have a great day!