He Gives and Takes Away

This past week has been one of great joy and profound sadness. It reminded me of a song by the Newsboys, called Blessed Be Your Name. It comes from Job 1:21 which says,

“Naked I came from my mother’s womb, And naked I shall return there. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away. Blessed be the name of the LORD.””

‭‭Job‬ ‭1:21‬ ‭NASB‬‬

Here are the song lyrics that have been on my mind continually.

“Blessed Be Your Name”

Blessed be Your name
In the land that is plentiful
Where your streams of abundance flow
Blessed be Your name
And blessed be Your name
When I’m found in the desert place
Though I walk through the wilderness
Blessed be Your name
Every blessing You pour out
I’ll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name
And blessed be Your name
When the sun’s shining down on me
When the world’s ‘all as it should be’
Blessed be Your name
And blessed be Your name
On the road marked with suffering
Though there’s pain in the offering
Blessed be Your name
You give and take away
You give and take away
My heart will choose to say
Lord blessed be Your nameOh, You give and take away
You give and take away
But my heart will choose to say
Blessed be Your name
You give and take away
You give and take away
But my heart will choose to say
Blessed be Your name

Isn’t that beautiful?

On Tuesday of this week, Son in Love #1 took Daughter #1 to ER. She was ten weeks and one day pregnant. An ultrasound and lab tests confirmed that their baby boy had gone back to be with Jesus. We are heartbroken, shattered. We loved him deeply without ever having held him. And yet, the first face this tiny babe saw, was the face of Jesus! He has taken, but we choose to say, Blessed be Your Name.

Yesterday, He gave. Our son married the love of his life in a private ceremony. We have a beautiful new Daughter in Love. She has made our son so very happy and has taken Big L and Little L completely into her heart. They adore her. Again, we say, Blessed be Your Name!

I found a blog post here that really spoke to my heart in the midst of all this. Perhaps it will speak to you as well.

Have a blessed day.

This entry was posted in Life, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to He Gives and Takes Away

1. anudge says:

How sad and how wonderful. Gentle hugs.

2. Jannette B. says:

So thankful that God is your refuge and strength – and also the giver of joy, even in times of sorrow.

3. Oh I so very sorry for your profound loss. And, I am ever so happy for your son and his beautiful new wife. We get through tough times with hopes and thoughts of new beginnings. Bless you and your family.

4. Katy, I’m so sorry to hear your family suffered this loss – it’s so sad. I’m glad you were able to experience the happiness for your son & new DIL. Sending hugs and prayers to you & your family ❤

5. What an up and down… hugs to your Daughter and Son #1, and to you. and Congrats on the wedding – what a lovely couple!!

I’m so sorry for the loss in your family and so happy for the new couple. I love your Daughter in Love phrase, it’s beautiful. Hugs,

7. A full range of emotion and human experience in one short week. So sorry for your family’s sorrow, and hearty congratulations on the marriage. Beautiful happy couple smiling in the sunshine!

8. Therese Penders says:

Thank you for sharing….stop to think what it means…. he is with his Creator….I lost a brother three years ago. He was intellectually disabled. He went straight to be with his Creator. I think the worst “sin” he ever committed was playing chicken on his bike in front of the school bus…🙏

9. Anja @ Anja Quilts says:

So sorry for your sad news. Congratulations on the good news. Sending hugs your way.

10. Zenia Rene says:

Though there’s pain in the offering, blessed be your name, Lord. I am praying for and rejoicing with you and your family Sis. Love you. oxoxo

11. Deborah Sharpe says:

May God bless and comfort your family as your release this precious baby to be with our Lord. My youngest son is a twin, his twin brother was stillborn. You never forget those who are now with God. They will always be in our hearts even when we were not able to hold them.

12. Diane says:

Thank you for sharing this beautiful post. God is good all the time.

13. Darlynn Venne says:

Katy. Goodness, what an emotional ride you and your family have experienced. Loss of a life is sad, no matter the stage or circumstance.
    Then the addition of love manifest in the union of two. Your son looks happy and your new DIL looks beautiful! I so love her dress and that dimple!!
    God’s peace be with your family.

14. rl2b2017 says:

Oh gosh, Katy. Prayers and {{hugs}} for you and your family. I hope your daughter and SIL can feel the healing thoughts being sent their way. What a heartbreak for all of you. Blessings and good wishes for your son and DIL. I am certain she is feeling welcomed into a wonderful family. ~smile~ Roseanne

15. Shasta says:

Wow you truly have had a roller coaster week. I am so sorry for your loss, and so happy for the new addition to your family. Please take care of yourself.

16. Alissa Head says:

Congratulations! Stunning couple. So much love there.

17. A moving post. Thank you for sharing it all. I am sad for your loss and thrilled for your gain.
    Indeed we are not in charge. Life as we know it can change in a second. Inspiring song. Thank you xoxo

18. Curly Mason says:

My heart hurts for you and also shares your joy! Thanks for sharing this and especially and personally love these song lyrics, one of my favorites! ❤️🙏❤️

Sent from my iPhone

19. Oh Katy, what a week! I will pray for your daughter and SIL as they mourn and heal. How delightful that you also had a wedding to celebrate. A time to rejoice! Blessed Be Your Name is one of my favorites. Hugs to you and yours, Katy. Will be keeping you all in prayer.

20. Sherrill says:

I feel your pain as I went through 3 miscarriages when I was young. It is extremely difficult but things will get better with the passing of time and hopefully her next pregnancy will fulfill all of her hopes and dreams.

21. ChristieB says:

What a bittersweet week for you and your family. But, God is good and He does not give us more than we can handle. And yes, this song of praise also gives us comfort in that we still have our hope in Him. HUGS… and stitches

22. Doris says:

Mere words cannot express the sadness or joy. I love that you find your heart full of Jesus during this. Congratulations to your son and his new wife. They are a beautiful couple.

23. donnathank says:

Katy, thank you for sharing your faith during this time of loss. It’s so inspiring! And congratulations on gaining a new member to the family!