Something New!

I pulled this layer cake out to use for one of the kid quilts I want to make this month. I bought this on a Cyber Monday sale back when Bluprint was still Craftsy. I liked it better back then. I didn’t renew my subscription this year.

I like the range of color in this.

And here is how I am making one of the quickest quilts ever! I cut my layer cake in half and I cut one 5 by 5 square of white for every rectangle.

Here is my layout, minus the white squares which will go in the spaces. I didn’t use the entire layer cake, but you could if you wanted a bigger quilt.

Here’s a tip: keep all the same white fabric together in a bin so you don’t have to sort it out later. This is all Lily and Loom Brilliant White. Scraps, yardage, it all lives here.

Here are my rows sewn together and turned sideways. This will be done in no time. It will finish at 63 by 70.

8 Responses to Something New!

1. Anja @ Anja Quilts says:

What a great idea. So easy, but so striking.

2. allisonwp says:

Great use of a rainbow layer cake Katy and you are so wise to keep all the different white fabrics separate – there are so many shades of white and they only show up when they get muddled together in a quilt!

3. PattpP says:

I sure miss Craftsy

4. Jannette Binder says:

That’s a great quick and easy quilt! Love the fabric colours – they totally make the quilt fabulous!

It may be simple but I sure like it – a lot!!

6. That layer cake is darling – love the hedgehogs! That is a fun quilt and I love the layout!

7. I love this simple yet striking pattern! I have a layer cake of Alison Glass fabrics I’ve been itching to use 😉 I agree with you on Craftsy-vs-Blueprint…they were much better before!

8. Candy Stone says:

Hi Katy…love what you did with the layer cake and with me being a beginner I can do this easily but question…I am assuming it is your experience and talent that knows where to lie each color. Not sure I can figure that out to look so good. Any suggestions? Thx!
    Email is candystone60@gmail.com