My Last Christmas Project

When my kids were very small, I bought a panel just like this to make a nativity set for them from JoAnn Fabrics. I wanted a set that they could really play with.

It became a tradition for our son, the oldest, to tell the Christmas story before opening gifts using this set. He’s a creative guy and often added hilarious details that may or may not have been in the original version! One year, we learned that Mary and Joseph met via E-Harmony. 😂

When his first son was born, I passed that set on to him. A couple years later, I found another panel at a garage sale. This year I decided to make it for Daughter #1’s family so that they could carry on the tradition as well.

I should be able to finish this up so I can gift it this afternoon.

Merry Christmas Eve!

11 Responses to My Last Christmas Project

1. anudge says:

What a wonderful way to pass on the meaning for Christmas

2. What a great story. I have a felt Navity set that was made by a friend’s mother. Merry Christmas.

3. dalrynn says:

When we moved from GA to IL, i too found this panel I made it up while we were staying at Residence Inn.. I embellished Mary, Joseph and baby Jesus with gold looking beads for halos I still put that nativity out every Christmas and love it more every year. I am so delighted you found the panel for your daughter Great memories!

I love your idea, how nice to pass it along. I have an inexpensive Nativity that I leave out all year and when my grandson comes over he loves to play with it. He’s 2 & 1/2 and he talks for the figures in his own little jibber jabber. I love it. Merry Christmas to Everyone! Hugs,

5. Therese Penders says:

A blessed and happy Christmas to you and all your family

6. Wanda Hanson says:

Merry Christmas Katy! I love the idea of a nativity to be touched and moved.

7. Janice says:

Love, love, love this tradition. Merry Christmas, Katy!

8. Lyndol says:

What a special family tradition!

9. LoriD @ Humble Quilts says:

Such a cool idea! Merry Christmas!!

10. Someday I’ll post the advent calendar Nativity quilt I made the kids when they were little. I need to make another, so that each of them has one when they have families. Merry Christmas, Katy!

11. helen says:

Many years ago when my sons were small I noticed our “special” manger scene was re-arranged, so I decided to buy one that was plastic so they could do their own thing and not have to worry about anything being broken. It amused me to see it re-arranged every time I passed it. There were adorable stories that they could tell about “how the Baby Jesus was born”.