Slow Stitching Sunday ~ Hand Quilting Tools

Progress is being made on hand quilting this lovely Seven Sisters Top.

Once again, I’m using my fan stencil from Fun with Barb. I also decided to try out a new hand quilting thread.

For the most part, I like it. But I have come across too many of these bits for my taste.

I’ll finish with this thread before I make a final judgement. I picked this stand hoop up at a sale this summer. It looks to be a Hinterberg Homestead hoop that is no longer available. I figured for $7.50, it was worth trying. So far, I’m really liking it. I used to love using a floor frame and this is a little like that, but I’m able to rotate the hoop to quilt in different directions. I figure I need to do whatever I can to relieve stress on my shoulders, hands , and arms.

This is my new favorite batting for hand quilting. If you are goi g to spend the time to hand quilt, get a batting you love or you may never finish!

I’m so happy to be hand quilting again, even if it is slow going.my fingers have not gone numb even once since my surgery. My hand/wrist do get sore so I’m still trying to pace myself.

Linking up with Kathy’s Quilts

This entry was posted in Hand quilting, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Slow Stitching Sunday ~ Hand Quilting Tools

1. It’s looking beautiful. I’m surprised to see the knots in the Guterman thread. Ive never used their quilting thread. Be sure to update us on that.

2. Shirley says:

I like the Quilters Dream batting, too.
    And Gutterman thread. I can’t imagine quilting thru all those seams.

3. Shirley says:

My friend made that quilt. She saw an antique one in Paducah years ago. She wants to start quilting on it but has some health issues to work thru first. Can’t wait to show her yours!!!

4. Susan says:

That was a real bargain for the stand. I love those, too, but still wind up using my PVC rectangle floor stand more than anything – the old original from Lamb Art Press. I haven’t hand quilted anything this year, though I did buy the other Baptist Fan stencil from her, after you recommended it so highly. It’s a design I love. I don’t use any battings except QD, hand or machine. Request was always my hand quilting choice, too. What a wonderful thing that your hands are not giving you trouble now. Oh, for quilting thread, I always use Coats or Aurifil. I don’t like Gutermann threads. I wanted to, but things like you’ve found on this spool are not unusual.

5. Your hand quilting is lovely. I agree the batting you are using is great for hand quilting. I made the mistake once of trying to hand quilt through batting that had scrim in it. I had to give up – it was such a battle to push and pull the needle through the quilt sandwich. Quilters Dream battings – cotton or polyester are the best quality I have found.

6. Robin says:

I love your quilting. Nothing beats that fan quilting, it’s just beautiful. I had forgotten how much I like Dream Cotton. Thanks for the reminder.

7. Suellen Cowley says:

I hand quilt everyday. I love it and have 3 quilts on frames all the time. I think your quilt looks great! Keep up the good work.

8. Edwina Finet says:

I have one just like it, which has not been used much. I spend so much time just machine piecing my quilts that I don’t have time to hand quilt. Your experience has given me encouragement to try a quilt that I could hand quilt, because the few small pieces that I have done have been very rewarding. Thanks for sharing you experiences with us. You are a fountain of knowledge.

Great find on the quilting hoop! I use the same batting, it is my favorite too. Hugs,

10. needleminder says:

That Hinterbirg hoop was a steal! I’ve had mine for 20 years and absolutely love it. They make a number of different size hoops that all fit on the same base, an a nice accessory to make doing the Border edges easier too. Enjoy!

11. chrisknits says:

And how pretty it looks waiting for you to come back to it! I wish I had the chance to find such a buy.

12. Kathi Clower says:

Hey Katy… love that quilt top you are quilting in fans… and I love your rotatable hoop you got for a steal!!! Have fun slow stitching even if you are coming up with joins in your thread a lot… I use YLI or Aurifil 28 for hand quilting as my preference… but it is always nice to try something you don’t have to order I am sure! Kathi

13. Your quilt and quilting are beautiful! I love that quilt stand as well – what a find!

14. Carla Therrien says:

Wow, you got a great deal on your hoop on a stand. I know my Barnett hoop on a stand was over 200 dollars. I feel the same about Guterrmann thread. I love that I can purchase it locally and there are more color choices but it doesn’t have the same quality as my two favorite threads Coats and Clark and YLI! What a gorgeous top and the baptist fans look wonderful!

15. What a great deal you got on that quilt stand! Your fan quilting looks awesome!
    I haven’t had anything like that thread spur with Gutermann thread…maybe just a bad batch?

16. Knots in thread like that drive me nuts. I hope you don’t have too many. Might be worth contacting the company if you do; they may give you a replacement. That quilt sure looks lovely in that hoop that you snagged for a great price! Glad your fingers aren’t numb now as you stitch; that’s very good news as you continue to heal. Enjoy your Sunday, Katy!

17. Gail says:

What a lovely quilt! I saw an antique seven sisters quilt in a museum once and was immediately in love with the pattern. Your fan quilting is perfect for it! Sorry about the thread problem. How annoying! Sounds like the frame is working well for you.

18. Julierose says:

Beautiful quilt you are working on! I use that thread and have never come across anything like that! That is certainly a drag…hugs, Julierose

19. CathieJ says:

To bad that quilt frame is discontinued. I think it is a really great idea to be able to spin it around. Your fan quilting is beautiful. Those knots in the thread would drive me crazy though. Enjoy your stitching.