Reupholstery Project

Daughter #3 loves Mid Century Modern style. She has long wanted an Eames Lounge chair, but with prices in the thousands, it wasn’t in her budget. However, she found this 1963 Eames knock off made by Plycraft on Craigslist. It is from 1963 and knockoffs were much better made back then!

This chair still had the original leather upholstery.

So she bought a leather cowhide and we went to work. We replaced all the old foam.

SIL was a fantastic help.

I’m no expert when it comes to upholstery. I still can’t believe she trusted me to help with this. We sure learned a lot! It was scary cutting into that expensive leather.

The buttons were scary at first, but not nearly as bad as I feared.

And look at it now! We did a great job!

Daughter #3 did a great job on the wood restoration. And SIL found the perfect replacement bolts.

Isn’t it beautiful?

I am going to making welting to go around the edges, but that might have to wait just a bit with everything going on.

This entry was posted in Home projects, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Reupholstery Project

1. Judy R says:

Beautiful chair!! Great job on the reupholstering! I’m enjoying reading your blog … New reader here.🙂 Finding all sorts of inspiration!

2. Unbelievable. I’m speechless! Actually, I have a few words – It’s gorgeous!

3. dezertsuz says:

Wow, that’s amazing! I’ll bet she is thrilled to have what she wanted at a small fraction of the price. You made a great team!

4. Patti P says:

That’s so impressive and beautiful!

5. Myiasmakes says:

What a fantastic transformation. Superb job guys, love it ❤️

6. Kelly Beck says:

Wow!! Looks brand new!!!

7. That is amazing! It’s just beautiful. I’m sure there is a great feeling of satisfaction on a job so well done!

8. Hope says:

It was so fun to do this with you, Mom! We couldn’t have done it with out you!!

9. Wendy says:

Impressive transformation. Well done!

You guys did a FABULOUS job! It looks AMAZING!

11. Diane says:

What a GREAT job. This chair looks like it cost thousands.

12. It’s beautiful. It looks brand new. Well done.

13. Mary Redrick says:

And amazing job! Looks so professional!

14. gayleburton says:

WOWZERS! The results are SO impressive! I have found when tackling an intimidating project, that if I just made a small start and take it one step at a time, that I can usually accomplish what I want in spite of the fear factor! LOL Did your SIL use an electric knife to cut the foam? Can’t quite see in the photo, but that works really well. BRAVO!

15. Wow!!! That is fantastic!!!

That looks amazing! You guys did great. It looks brand new. Hugs,

17. Wanda Hanson says:

I cannot even imagine tackling a job like that and it is so beautiful in the end. Luckily you had a determined crew working with you.

18. wow…I am sooo impressed. It is stunning….When I was in high school, I took an upholstery class and reupholstered our Peugeot car….That was then, now I have forgotten it all…Big cheers to you and your family for this gem.

19. Kathy D. says:

Fantastic job and wonderful family project! You can all be thrilled with the results.

20. Val W. says:

Wow, that is an impressive restoration. You have taken ‘group project’ to a whole new level!

21. Kathi Clower says:

AMAZING finish! We have done a bit of reupholstery and it was wicked unfun… I love that you all pitched in together and made such a cool finish… does it need welting??? I LOVE IT! I love the wood and leather together too… I hope she uses it now 😀 Kathi

22. blackeyedsewsan says:

Holy moly! What a posting! You guys are unbelievable-anything you CAN’T do?

23. Therese penders says: