Visible Mending?

Have you heard of “visible mending?”

The idea is to mend something in such a way that the repair itself becomes something celebrated rather than hidden. I like that idea. If you Google visible mending, you can see many lovely examples. I decided to try it out in my own simple way on a pair of favorite jeans.

No fancy stitching here, just a running stitch with very thick thread outlining my patch. But as I stitched, I pondered the concept of visible mending. It’s a lot like redemption in my eyes. God can take those ripped open, broken places in our lives and mend them. I don’t think His goal is to make it like it never happened, but to make it better. To make it beautiful. So that others can see that though we once were broken, now we are healed and whole. I realize many of us have hurt places that are not yet mended, or they are in process. I know that’s true for me. Seeing the healing in others, brings hope.

I may or may not add more stitching. It’s a project that has been more satisfying than I expected. And I think I have more to ponder here.

11 Responses to Visible Mending?

1. Cynthia says:

I do a lot of visible mending – I bet this won’t be your last mend – it’s addictive!

2. Jannette B. says:

Love your analogy! We probably all have hurt places, if we only acknowledge them… Of course, then we’d also have to admit that we can’t fix them on our own, and that’s hard for some people.

3. Genevieve says:

Thank you for this post & is oh so true. Praise the Lord and many Blessings to you Katy

4. Charlotta Bright Norby says:

Love it! I’d never heard of that concept per se, but really like it. Thanks for sharing.

5. Such a beautiful application of God’s grace and mercy, Katie! Thank you!!

6. Lu says:

Thank you Katy for the info on mending and the comparison. Praying that our Awesome God mends the broken places in your life.

7. Oh Katy, I just LOVE that analogy! I also like the concept of visible mending. I hadn’t heard of that before. I’ll have to go look around and see what’s out there. 🙂 Hope you have a beautiful Sunday.

What a lovely comparison…

9. Angie Kaschube says:

Oh no! It cut off the rest- not to erase our hurts, but to make a new creation of us.

10. Angie Kaschube says:

This is a beautiful reflection on mending. God does mend our hearts!
    Not

11. I just took a class called Mindful Stitching, using the Japanese methods of Boro, Kantha and Sashiko stitching. Basically big stitching, like you are doing. So much fun, and so relaxing. I’m wishing I had some ripped jeans that were worth mending! And I agree with your thoughts on how God can take those broken things and make them whole. Happy Sunday, Katy!