QOV #13

This gorgeous QOV top was made by Val. Those little stars are pieced!

I love this panto and felt it really suited this quilt. But I remembered halfway down the first row that I don’t love quilting it.

You would think it would be simple, but for some reason, I have a heck of a time following it!

At the end of the third row, I had to change bobbins. I didn’t realize until I had done another three rows, that I grabbed a different color bobbin. I had to walk away for a few hours while I pondered ripping out those last three rows. I decided it would become a pattern. I quilted three rows with light gray in the bobbin and then three rows with dark gray, switching back and forth until I got to the end. It is hard to see in the photo above, but it is more obvious close up.

This panto has a fair amount of backtracking in the words and I just couldn’t bring myself to spend hours and hours ripping it all out. So sorry, Val!

If you are so inclined to try this panto for yourself, it is available from Urban Elementz .

I often have people ask me about patterns when I show these Quilts of Valor. I’d love to help, but since I haven’t made the tops, I don’t have any pattern info. Sorry I can’t help with pattern names!

This post contains affiliate links.

This entry was posted in Finishes, Long Arm Quilting, Longarm Quilting, Pantographs, Quilt of Valor, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to QOV #13

1. dezertsuz says:

I love your solution! It’s fabulous! That’s a terrific pattern, thanks for the link. I don’t have a longarm again yet, but one of these days, I will, and I’ll be volunteering to do a lot of soldier quilts, so I need to get that one! Your work is always beautiful.

2. Patti P says:

Good job on that panto. I have it but because my hand writing is so bad, I haven’t tried it yet

3. Jannette B. says:

I really like the contrasting grey threads, and even the panto looks like 2 different colours were used! It looks perfect for a QOV, but very labour-intensive – glad that you stuck with it!

4. anudge says:

13! You and those ladies are moving! Wonderful pantograph.

5. Val W says:

This looks fantastic! Thank you, Katy. I look forward to seeing your ‘design opportunity’ in person. BTW, this quilt is called Album Star, and was in the May/June 2017 issue of Love of Quilting magazine.

6. Loris Mills says:

Is the challenge with this panto design that you are stitching the words out backwards? It really looks lovely. Smart idea to just vary the color in a pattern. I agree, that is too much to rip out and it will be fine…and interesting, the way it is.

7. abydolinger says:

Great solution to make a pattern of your different bobbin color dilemma. I will have to remember this idea; it sure is a pain and time consuming to rip out Quilting!

8. Ann Wight says:

Excellent. I think your idea to switch out the colors was brilliant. I have mistakenly used 2 colors on a quilt, luckily, they were both beige and the backing was busy enough you could not even tell. Love that design!

9. Great way to solve a small glitch! I cannot believe those little stars are pieced!

That’s a beautiful quilt! I love the quilting design,it’s perfect. You made a good decision on how you finished the quilting. Hugs,