Finish It Up Friday ~ Vintage Redwork

Prepare for picture over load! I am just smitten with this quilt! I finished the quilting, binding, and washing of it this week. Here are a couple photos before washing.

First I did a cold water rinse to make sure all of the blue marker was gone. The water was disgusting after that one soak! Then I used a bit of blue Dawn dish soap and a product made for vintage textiles called Restoration. It is made by Engleside Products.

I’m not sure you can tell here, but it is so much brighter after washing!

The rusty stains didn’t disappear completely, but they are much improved.

It seems to belong in this room, though not on the bed! It is much too narrow.

Here are some closeups of some of the blocks.

I just love the texture close quilting gives!

I was asked if I prewashed the binding fabric and the answer is yes. I did not want this to turn pink in the wash!

This top was dated 1909 and was made by Ruth Crowley Greene. It was given to me by her granddaughter, Jane, a dear friend of mine. I feel honored to have been able to finish this and believe Ruth would be pleased that it is finished.

Linking up with Confessions of a Fabric Addict , Crazy Mom Quilts , Busy Hands Quilts , Lisa in Port Hope

This entry was posted in Bed Quilts, Finishes, Uncategorized, Vintage Quilts. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Finish It Up Friday ~ Vintage Redwork

1. Val W says:

What a lovely quilt. Your fan quilting fits perfectly with this vintage beauty And it’s so nice that you know the granddaughter of the original quilter. Makes it all the more special.

2. Linda Mincher says:

Wow! That is a lovely quilt. Your quilting on it made it even better!

Beautiful!!! You really did justice to this wonderful quilt with your lovely quilting. I love it. Hugs,

4. Sharon says:

This quilt is really unique! I’ve never seen one like it before. Beautiful job finishing!

5. Bambi Pearson says:

Absolutely gorgeous! Love the Baptist Fans quilting.

6. What a superb job! The hand quilting really makes this one special. I love the room and your mini quilts too!

7. Kathy D. says:

How lovely to know the provenance of this beautiful quilt top, which you enhanced so much with the Baptist Fan quilting. What a fantastic finish!

8. Diane in AZ says:

Hi, Do you know what ratio of Dawn to Restoration you used? I have one I soaked in Dawn for a couple of days, and then washed it, so I know it’s clean but still badly stained, most likely with something awful like blood.

Your beautiful hand-quilting (and TLC) has brought this heirloom to life! I’m certain Ruth would be delighted.

10. Sandra B says:

What a wonderful finish, Katy! I love red work and this one is really amazing! The Baptist fan quilting is perfect…it is one of my favorite quilting designs…. As always, thanks so much for sharing!

11. Absolutely stunning! I hope I look that good when I’m over 100 years old.

12. Great finish. The quilting does give it great texture.

13. Such a treasure! Your quilting is the perfect complement. I must think that each design commemorates a special event for the creator. Thanks for linking to TGIFF.

14. This is amazing! Old quilts fascinate me. You did a great job bringing life back into it. The spots on the pig kinda look like they belong there lol. A pig rolling in the mud 🙂

15. anudge says:

So sweet!

16. Susan says:

I love seeing the finish. It seems to have been done awfully quickly for all the lines of quilting. What a lot of difference that wash made!

17. barbvedder says:

fabulous finish! love how the partial fans look!

18. katyquilts says:

Thanks so much! I loved this project!

Sent from my iPad

19. audrey says:

I am so in love with this stitching! The texture is just amazing.:)