Finish It Up Friday ~ Hexie Quilt

It’s done! I started piecing this top back in 2013. It is mostly hand pieced, but I did machine sew a few seams.

It isn’t a true charm quilt as there are repeated fabrics.

Here’s a look at the backing fabric. It’s a Robyn Pandolph print I had in my stash.

I kept the quilting pretty simple, just freehand continuous curves in the hexies, and a Gothic arch border.

I rather wish that I had quilted it more closely, but it is what it is.

Many people use The English Paper Piecing method to piece hexies. I’m not a fan of EPP. These are hand pieced the traditional way, by marking seam lines on the back of each piece.

This is where I’m displaying it for now. It finished at about 55 by 70 inches.

Linking up with Confessions of a Fabric Addict , Devoted Quilter, Busy Hands Quilts , Crazy Mom Quilts

This entry was posted in Civil War Repro Quilts, Finishes, Hand piecing, Hexagons, Traditional, Traditional Quilts, UFOs, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Finish It Up Friday ~ Hexie Quilt

1. I really enjoyed seeing a quilt made with larger hexies. You chose the perfect border and backing fabrics. It’s very classy.

2. Facetfully says:

Wow! I can’t imagine joining all those hexies! Yay for you!

3. Terri Bertalan says:

Loved following the making of this beautiful quilt. Love how you did the hand quilting too. That alone would take me a lifetime. Your border fabric and backing are a perfect choice also.

4. audrey says:

What a gorgeous quilt! Love the colors and feel to this one. And I have meant to tell you for awhile now, that I have thoroughly enjoyed seeing all your vintage quilts come together. The hand quilting on many of them just makes them look incredible. I usually read your posts on Bloglovin’ and can’t seem to comment from there and so then forget to come comment later on my regular feed. Love seeing all your work come together though although mostly I just lurk. It’s great inspiration.:)

5. Linda Dutch says:

A beautiful quilt! And lots of work, love all your quilting.

6. Lynette says:

Katy, this is nice! The quilting is very pretty on it. Did you use a ruler for the arches in the border? Perfect fabric for its backing. And, yeah – I don’t think I would like the EPP method for hexies at this size. That would be so awkward to hold in your hand while working.

7. Carol C. says:

This turned out so nice! Beautiful!! Thanks for sharing.

8. Amy says:

Katy, I just love this, and the quilting! I am making Grandmother’s garden quilt with 1930’s reproduction prints. It is a queen size. I think I bit off more than I can chew since English paper piecing is not my favorite either. I pick up and put down this project often…over the last 8 years!!

9. Judy B says:

Your fabric selections are just great! Many are ones in my scrap stash too!

The border and contrasting binding are perfect!! Great job, Katy!

It’s just wonderful!!! I love the fabric for the border and the backing, just perfect. Hugs,

12. anudge says:

Turned out Great.

13. It’s beautiful, Katy! I think the amount of quilting looks great as it is πŸ™‚

14. Lovely quilt Katy. As usual you’ve found the perfect backing to compliment the quilt top. It looks very homely and ‘old’ – in a good way πŸ™‚

15. chrisknits says:

It is lovely. Looks quite cozy, and love the border fabric.

16. Loris Mills says:

Really lovely! I especially like the quilting design you used in the border. Beautiful work!

17. Sharon says:

Beautiful finish Katy, and I do like the way you quilted it. I always thought that your hexie quilts were EPP so I am surprised to find out differently. How big are the hexies?

18. Mary Redrick says:

Beautiful quilt! Lots of work! I love the way you quilted it!

19. Karen says:

the quilting looks good on it – and it is a nice looking quilt! I have done both EPP and regular hand piecing – it is easy to mark pieces and just sew but I always get off a little bit for some reason and I’m not as accurate as I could be – I always put it back to my cutting not being perfect

20. Paula says:

This is a great quilt. I love hexies and have a few hexie UFOs that need the hand-quilting completed. I know what you mean about closer quilting. Have you considered tying the center of each hexie? Many older quilts were tied and this might be a great look for this quilt.

21. Sherrill says:

It’s beautiful! Love that cute chair, too.

22. Marilyn says:

I love all your quilting! You have a great eye for perfect stitching for each quilt.

23. Kathy D. says:

What a lovely quilt! It was fun to watch this one grow as you shared your hand stitching with us. Think you finished it “just right” and love that binding.

24. Rebecca Grace says:

This is glorious, Katy! Congratulations! I especially love the border fabric you chose. It makes a nice impact even from a distance. You know, I have been admiring hexie quilts for awhile but I thought that EPP was the ONLY way to piece them and that seemed like a lot of bother. It didn’t occur to me to piece them by hand. And, if you can piece them that way by hand, couldn’t I also piece them by machine if I marked the seamlines as you described? There are some nice hexie precuts out there… What size were your hexies?

Congratulations on a BEAUTIFUL finished quilt, 5 years in the making! I think the quilting looks great as it is, but there’s no law that says you couldn’t go back and add more if YOU feel like it needs it.

25. Bambi Pearson says:

It turned out beautiful Katy. Love it!

26. Cocoa Quilts says:

The quilt is beautiful. I can’t even imagine hand stitching one hexi!