DWMonday ~ Cake Mix Recipe

Have you ever used one of these? You all know my love of layer cakes so when this came up as a Daily Deal at Missouri Star, I had to bite. This seemed like a perfect project for taking to a sewing day for the Stitching Sisters QOV Group. I needed something easy to work on because I tend to get distracted talking and make mistakes.

This is what each page looks like.

I had two layer cakes of this

Here is how it works. You layer two pieces right sides together.

Place one sheet from the pad on top and secure with a couple pins.

Start at the star and sew on all dotted lines.

This is what the back looked like when I was done.

Next you cut on all the solid lines.

This is all the waste, not much!

Here’s a tip. If you tend to be an aggressive presser, leave the paper on the back until after pressing; it will stabilize your seams.

Here are a few possible layouts.

This is what I decided to go with. It’s a big 16 inch block.

Linking up with Small Quilts and Doll Quilts , Cooking Up Quilts , Love Laugh Quilt

17 Responses to DWMonday ~ Cake Mix Recipe

1. Terri Bertalan says:

Love it! I might just have to buy that pattern and give it a try. As you witness I do not get much done on sew day, lol

2. Deb says:

Neat way to do make these blocks. One could make their own papers in what ever block size they wanted. Might have to give it a go.😀

3. Yes, I love those Cake Mix papers! Perfect HSTs and no extra trimming required, so fast!!

4. I’ve considered buying a pad of those papers but wasn’t sure about them. Thanks for sharing this – now I know how they work!

5. Kathy D says:

I’ve also wondered how these work, so thanks for taking the mystery out of them. Sorry I didn’t get the chance to wander over and see what you were up to. It was great to see you!

6. Alison says:

This is so neat! I might have to get a set of Cake Mixes to try.

7. Sherrill says:

Never heard of those..looks like a great, relatively easy project. May have to look into them

8. I got a set of those papers as a freebie in my last order (yes, it was a big order), so now I have to give them a try. Thanks for sharing this!

9. Sharon says:

I was wondering how those worked. Thanks for showing this. Now, I’m interested in trying them out.

10. Loris Mills says:

Awesome! Thank you for the tutorial. That worked out well and it will make a lovely quilt!

I love this, thank you for the demo! I’ve seen the cake mixes online but didn’t really know how it worked. Hugs,

12. rl2b2017 says:

Hi Katy,
    Well they certainly made these easy to use! I have that same precut, and this is a fun use for it. I wonder which layout you will end up using? Thanks for sharing the tutorial with us. ~smile~ Roseanne

13. I love Cake Mix. Working on one now!

14. Kate says:

Oh that’s how those work! Thanks for demonstrating.

15. anudge says:

Cool -just what I like to do. Off to learn more about them.

16. Zenia Rene says:

Very nifty! I’ll be on the lookout for the daily deals!

17. Judy Hansen says:

I tend to like anything “Miss Rosie” does, and this looks like it would be great for a new quilter. I will remember this when I am working with a new quilter. So many choices – all pretty. Thanks for linking up with Design Wall Mondays at SmallQuiltsandDollQuilts.blogspot.