Treasure

On my last trip home to see my mom, I brought home this cabinet. It belonged to my dad and he used it in his garage/workshop to store little bits of hardware that he might need some day.

I have very fond memories of tinkering with my dad in his workshop. He even made me my own workbench and gave me some tools of my own. Believe it or not, I spent a lot of time scrubbing this up before I brought it into my sewing room! But I don’t really mind the rusty bits.  My dad could often see value in things that others could not see. He loved his tools and was a master at fixing and making things. I picked up some shelf liner for the drawers at the dollar store.

I found this ad for this very same cabinet online!

I love the numbers on the drawers!

Dad got this from the company where he worked as a machinist. Apparently they were throwing it out, but he knew it had life and purpose left in it. I’m not yet sure what I will use it for, but I’m so thankful to have it.

13 Responses to Treasure

1. It’s a beautiful cabinet Katy, and it’s nice you have so many happy memories attached to it. Even if you never put anything in it, it has value as a reminder of your Dad and the time you shared together.

2. Val W says:

I love the shared history you and your dad have with this cabinet. Those Jeeps look right at home on top of it.

3. That is most definitely a treasure, Katy! I am so happy for you that it found it’s way into your home. =)

4. A treasure for sure, Katy! Those fond memories are so precious and this cabinet is a great reminder. I’m sure your dad would be delighted to know that it is at home in your studio!

5. Treasure indeed! What wonderful memories! Have fun filling it up.

6. Sarah says:

My dad owned a hardware store in Iowa and he had 2 of these, one stacked on top of the other behind his desk. Amazing what you could find in them. I wish I had one of them. Thanks for the memories.

VERY cool, Katy! And how awesome that you were able to find the original AD for them! I can only imagine what they would cost new today. I know your dad would be very pleased that it ended up in your care.

It’s a wonderful treasure from your dad! I love it! Hugs,

9. Janice says:

I’m anxious to see what you’ll do with it. I need ideas for the cabinet of brass post office boxes I inherited. They’re not an ideal size but I can’t bear to get rid of them!

10. Rochelle Summers says:

I’m married to a man who can see the value in EVERYONE’S trash….and I think we have it all. The hardware he has collected is worth its weight in gold, if only he could find it when he is looking for it. I do love to see these old and well made items refurbished and put into use.

11. Theresa says:

That made me teary eyed!!! How comforting this is making you feel……… I know too. My dad didn’t have a hobbies. So the only thing I have is more important than anything!!! His Bible……

12. Pat in WNY says:

Ah, my hubby would love this cabinet. Our garage/shop is stuffed with the bits and pieces of hardware and miscellaneous stuff he has accumulated over the years! And if I ask him to build some little sewing accessory he can usually find just the pieces he needs to do it. Not so unlike us quilters with our stashes of fabric and supplies I’d say!

13. Kathleen says:

Awww . . . this is so sweet. A treasure indeed.