Eastern Market in Detroit

Hubby booked a walking tour of the Eastern Maket in Detroit for us and yesterday was the tour. It was fun and very interesting! For as close as we live, I have really spent very little time in Detroit.  I know now that I want to go back and explore more of this colorful city. This is the oldest continuous fruit/veggie market in the US.

I found some quilting inspiration!

Interestingly, they use murals and street art to combat graffiti. And it works!

This next one was in progress.

This building houses artist lofts.

This used to be a brewery, but now it is artist lofts as well.

Love this sentiment.

The murals all have sponsors. The sponsor gets to choose the artist and them for their mural. The first murals were painted here back in the early 1970s.

Such a fun day! I can’t wait to go back. Have a good one!

9 Responses to Eastern Market in Detroit

1. blackeyedsewsan says:

The street art reminds me of Oakland. I can see you doing a quilt of the E & B inset! Susan R

2. Val W says:

My husband and I took a walking tour of EM a few years back. There was so much hidden history in that area. It was amazing.

3. Cocoa Quilts says:

Love walking tours, especially those that involve food!!! Love Eastern Market, there is a great little diner dive there that makes homemade corned beef it is the best ever!!!

4. PattiP says:

You & your husband find the most interesting things to do. I got lost last winter on my way to jury duty in Detroit & ended up in a neighborhood with stunning street art. Getting lost gave me an unforgettable memory!

5. kay carlson says:

You have the most interesting blog! From teaching us quilting techniques to sharing how much there is to learn and enjoy in this wonderful country, you excel with your visuals and comments. In addition, your devotion to family and community shines brightly in each post. Thank you.

Beautiful murals! Hugs,

7. Oooh, yeah, quilt inspiration is everywhere. Architectural design in cities is the best! I love street art! What a great outing.

8. dezertsuz says:

That was very interesting. I was expecting to see a farmer’s market, and there’s all that artwork that I call graffiti art. I began to appreciate it when watching a tv show with my son. The variety of buildings is amazing. Is there a Western Market, too?

9. Sherrill says:

Looks like a super cool tour and the street art murals are so AWESOME! There are times when I don’t mind getting stopped by a train as I love to watch the cars roll by and see the graffiti on them!