Gender Neutral Baby Quilt?

I have a baby shower to attend on Saturday.  I try to keep a stash of baby quilts to give away, but I found out today that the happy parents do not know if they are having a boy or a girl! So, these two quilts are the closest I have to being gender neutral.

I went online to check out their registry to get a feel for the colors they have chosen and neither of these will go. I pulled a few fabrics that I thought might work.

Here are a few of the items on their registry.

Aren’t they cute? Looking at these again, I’m not sure about the yellow I pulled. Maybe I should go with just gray and white. I’m trying to decide if that is too boring. I am running out of time so I better figure this out soon!

12 Responses to Gender Neutral Baby Quilt?

1. Liz says:

Love your choices. I think the yellow gives the selection a lift…after all it is for a baby!

2. Karen says:

Grey, med. Grey, white and tan would be good.

3. rl2b2017 says:

Hi Katy,
    I just shared my great-nephew’s picture yesterday. He was born last Saturday, and he was a surprise – they didn’t find out the gender before the birth. Her colors were gray and white. I like Karen’s idea above with gray, white and tan – I love those little owls above. ~smile~ Roseanne

4. I think I’d add a little bit of yellow – maybe a narrow inner border or a little part of a large block ☺ Look forward to seeing the finished quilt.

5. I like your color pull, but then I like yellow. Maybe using it in the quilt very lightly? Just to add a pop of color?

6. Sharon says:

I love your two little quilts! Like others have said, a little bit of yellow might brighten it up a bit. Have you decided on a design yet?

7. Quiltmouse says:

I am making a quilt for a new family member and was told their colors were leaning toward gray & orange. I never would have thought of that, but I do like a color to help the gray from just being there. I know whatever you make will be loved.

8. Actually, I think quilt #2 would work nicely with those neutral colors. So many young parents today are going with neutrals and black and white in the nursery. I think a little splash of color would work just fine.

9. Val W says:

If you call it a quilt play mat for tummy time, you can get away with pretty much anything. Works for me!

10. Lea says:

I think grey white and tan would work well. I do love the yellow you picked out!! But I think it might be too bright for how they are decorating?

The two baby quilts are beautiful!

11. quiltipatti says:

whatever you decide, remember that babies don’t initially see color. we do the pastels more for the mothers. babies see contrast. if you go with gray and white, definitely add a yellow, red or green as an accent. besides the tummy play mat sounds great and you don’t have to worry about busting your bu** to get another one done. when my dd was about 4 months old, she grabbed a black/white comforter tied with red ribbons. she would not let go and still carries it around today and she is 28. patti in florida

12. Love the gray and yellow and think it works perfectly with the things on their registry! Don’t leave out the yellow! I personally really like that second baby quilt but then again, I like lots of color!