Vintage Stars

Thank you are all of your sweet comments. I’m sure you’ve noticed that I’m behind on responding again. The trip we made was to see my sweet father in law who is now in hospice care. He is staying at the most wonderful hospice house. My dad is still in hospice care but at his home. What a crazy year it is turning out to be! We are thankful for every minute spent with family.

I’ve made some progress on hand quilting my vintage star top. It is slow going, but very relaxing to stitch.

I used a plain unbleached muslin on the back. The color is off here. I’ve not marked anything, just freehanding it.

This next picture shows what the long arm basting looks like on the back.

This is the batting I am using. I’m not in love with it. Anyone have any suggestions for a good 100% cotton batting for hand quilting?

Forging ahead. Have a good day.

Linking up with Mel’s Quilting RoomFree Motion by the River

12 Responses to Vintage Stars

1. I use wool most of the time, but when I do use a cotton batt I like Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon Classic. I like the early ones best and I buy one whenever I can. You can find them on eBay sometimes. The older ones with the paper label just needle better than the ones they make today. I usually split it in half so I get a nice thin look. Wish I could figure out how to do that with my body! Hope you have a quiet day.

2. Wendy says:

Katy, I’m so sorry to hear that your family is going through this tough season. Know that I think of you often and pray for you all. The star quilt is lovely as is your hand stitching. I don’t have any recommendations on the batting issue, though. Is the basting difficult to take out when you are done?

3. anudge says:

Praying for your father-in-law and all the family. Blessings,

4. Jan Smith says:

Mountain Mist cotton seems to be very dense, and resists needling. I’ve found that Quilter’s Dream in the Request (thinnest) is the best for hand quilting. It gives a nice, flat vintage look, too.
    I must say how much I enjoy your blog, and your quilts. You get so much accomplished!
    Best wishes to your family. Trying times.

5. Andrea H says:

Sweet, tender thoughts being sent to your family during this time. You do beautiful hand quilting work. I just finished my first machine quilted piece a little over a month ago. It was definitely a learning process. Take care of yourself. –Andrea

My favorite for large quilts is Quilters Dream Request. I use it for small quilts too but I do like Mountain Mist cotton when I can find it. I’m so sorry to read about your father-in-law also. I’m keeping all of you in my prayers! Hugs,

7. JanineMarie says:

I used to use Cream Rose all the time for hand quilting. I liked the old fashioned look and light feel of the quilts I made with it, but it was kind of tough to quilt through. I needed to make sure that my needles stayed shiny (I tend to tarnish them quickly). I just finished a machine-quilted quilt with it because I wanted something light-weight, but my machine wasn’t thrilled with it either. Too bad because I like how it shrinks up. I have had success with Quilters Dream–you might like the Request weight for hand quilting.

8. Theresa Morgan says:

I don’t ever leave messages but have followed you for a long time.This is a time I had to respond…..I’ve been where you are less than 10 yrs ago…..then my Cancer,remission, then 3 yrs later taking care of my husband,my BEST friend, due to Cancer.till the end……..My heart goes out to you and your Family……My quilting & cross-stitching was my salvation………You do beautiful work!!!….God be with you…..

9. dezertsuz says:

I’m so sorry that both fathers are in hospice. I have used both QD Request and Select for hand quilting. Fairfield also makes a nice 100% cotton that needles well.

10. quiltipatti says:

sorry to hear that both fathers are in hospice. the cotton i use to hand quilt with is dream cotton in the request weight. the select weight also works but i usually use it for machine quilting and for big stitch work. i admire your ability to stay with the hand quilting. patti in florida

11. JoanG says:

I’ve used the cream rose primarily with machine quilting and my machine seems to be ok with it. I’d follow the other Quilter’s suggestion to try Quilter’s dream request or select. They are my favorite when I can get out to buy them.

12. Quilter’s Dream is great–though wool batting is like quilting through butter!