Finish It Up Friday ~ Daughter #2’s QOV

This week, I was finally able to present Daughter #2 with her Quilt of Valor. This was the hardest QOVs I have ever made. None of my ideas seemed good enough. I felt emotional at times working on it while she was deployed. This month marks the end of her six year enlistment. I could not be more proud of her service to our country.

And now, here are the quilt pictures.

I think this is one of my favorite patterns ever and it gave me a chance to use many special fabrics. This piece was a gift from a bloggy friend.

Most of the “Stars” have red points. But there are six using the blue star print. These represent her six years of service. I also included a few pieces of fabric from some of her ABUs.

I couldn’t believe I found this fabric that has the oath of enlistment on it!

I have included patriotic fabrics, but I didn’t want this to be an in your face patriotic quilt.

As I mentioned yesterday, I’m not thrilled with the quilting on this quilt. Can’t go back and change it now, but I wish I could.

Here is the back.

Pierre gave his approval, which is important as he was her first dog.

Some of these pictures were taken before washing and some after. They are all out of order. Oh, well.

Here are a few pictures from the presentation.

Have a wonderful day!

Linking up with Confessions of a Fabric AddictBusy Hands QuiltsCrazy Mom QuiltsQuilting is More Fun Than Housework

36 Responses to Finish It Up Friday ~ Daughter #2’s QOV

1. Mary Stori says:

Absolutely awesome……and thank your daughter for her service!

2. blackeyedsewsan says:

What a mom! I absolutely ADORE this quilt-what an absolute piece of patriotism without being in your face as you said. It’s splendid. Susan

3. Ariane says:

What an amazing quilt and wonderful gift for your daughter! I love the fabrics you used.

4. Beautiful ~ I have a daughter with a 4th of July birthday, it’s hard to get the theme without it being too much. Great choice of fabrics! And thank your daughter for her service 🇺🇸

5. Luann says:

Tears welled up, brimmed over, and spilled down my cheeks. I also am proud of your daughter, though I’ve never met her. She has been in my prayers often. And I’m sure she is very proud of her mom. Thanks to you both, one for actively serving, and the other for honoring those who have. May God bless your entire family with sunny days and breezy nights.

6. Val W says:

What a beautiful quilt. So glad you were finally able to present it to your daughter.

7. Ramona says:

What a beautiful quilt with such wonderful meaning. Thanks to your daughter for her years of service protecting our freedom and to you for keeping the home fires burning.

8. rl2b2017 says:

Oh, it brings a tear to my eyes seeing you hugging your daughter. Thank her for her service. What a special and lovely valor quilt. She will feel your love in every stitch. ~smile~
    Roseanne

9. Sharon says:

It’s a beautiful quilt Katy! So much thought went into the making of this quilt. I love that you included her six years of service in the blue star points. I know that she will always treasure this gift. Thank you for sharing this very special presentation with photos of you both.

10. Paula says:

Katy, this is a wonderful quilt sewn with love. I’m sorry you’re unhappy with the quilting, but your daughter obviously loves the quilt. Before reading your comment, I was admiring the quilting in each of the hexagons, I thought it was a great design. Thank you to your daughter for her service, and thank you for always sharing your wonderful quilts and I’m sure most others will agree.

11. lswanekamp says:

It is an amazing quilt for a memorable gift. I think the quilting looks fabulous. Thanks for sharing the photos.

12. I especially like that it has so much meaning worked into it without it being “in your face” — what a marvelous QOV. Hear Hear for your daughter’s service and your loving support.

13. Donna says:

OK – crying over here *sniff sniff* I LOVE it, Katy! There is so much meaning (and emotion) stitched into this quilt. It is beautiful. Thank you “#2” for your service. It is good to see you back in the States. Best wishes to you in your future endeavors. ❤

14. It is a wonderful quilt and I’m sure she will treasure it forever. You found so many wonderful meaningful prints to use in it and I love the soft colors.

15. Oh my, tears in my eyes as I see that picture of the hug. She will treasure that quilt for years to come. With all the work you do on QOVs, it’s only fitting and right that you made a QOV for your daughter. Please do thank her for her service to our country. Hugs to you, Katy. Well done!

16. Jayne says:

Thank her for her service for me! It takes a special person to dedicate six years of their life to our country. As for the quilt. A picture is worth a thousand words and the picture of you hugging her wrapped in the quilt…says it all!

17. Mary Redrick says:

That quilt turned out beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

18. Wow! Such a meaningful quilt and a thoughtful arrangement of colours and of these handpicked fabrics. Very well done. I love it!

What a beautiful quilt!!! The pattern is really neat and I love how you found all those different fabrics. I love the picture of the 2 of you together. I’d like to Thank her for her service! Hugs,

20. Beautiful quilt and a wonderful tribute for your daughter. Did you put a quilt label on the finished quilt? Thanks to your daughter for her service. Mine was in the Air Force Reserves for 6 years and I have thought of doing something like this. I hope your daughter treasures this for years.

21. Carie says:

Oh what a beautiful quilt, a real testament to your daughter’s service, and I love how many subtle messages and meanings are hidden in it

22. Rochelle Summers says:

This brought tears to my eyes. Thank your daughter for her years of service to our country. Your support of her an all of our military personnel is applauded.

23. Sue B says:

Katy it is truly a QOV filled with love. I’m sure she’ll treasure it for many years, knowing all the special little touches you put in for her. With a quilt like this, you’d probably never think your quilting was “right”, but it came out beautiful. Thank you to your daughter for her service and to you and Mr Wonderful for the support you provided her through her years of service and deployments. Many prayers were said for her safe return. God Bless

24. lynn jarzombeck says:

Just marvelous and so full of meaning – could not be more special.

25. Małgorzata says:

WOW! What a beautiful quilt! I love it.

26. Becky Coyle says:

What a beautiful quilt for a beautiful, honorable daughter. I truly appreciate her sacrifice and service.

27. Amy says:

Katy, the quilt is gorgeous!!! I’m sure it will be a lifelong treasure. She has much to be proud of, her service to this great nation, but mostly having a mom like you!

28. Louise says:

What a very special daughter and quilt as well. Prayers of thanks that she returned home safely to her loving family. Congratulations to yourself and your husband as the proud parents having done a fine job…blessings to you all. The quilt is wonderful..

29. I have been watching your progress on this quilt. All your love can be seen all over it. Thanks for sharing with TGIFF.

30. Jenny Benton says:

Such a lovely quilt and such a beautiful brave daughter. You have every right to be immensely proud of her.

31. Kristy Wilkinson says:

What a special quilt and I am sure it was hard to not get emotional making it for your daughter and then actually presenting it to her. I love the picture of her wrapped in it! How special. Thank you for sharing and I think the quilting is lovely. K-

32. Marianne says:

Well done! I love everything about this quilt! And a big Thank You to your daughter for her service.

33. What a beautiful quilt for your beautiful and brave daughter! Your quilting is just fine!

34. ceciled05 says:

I think this one is my favourite too….what great colors !
    Congratulations for this finish Katy ! 🙂

35. PattiP says:

Love the quilt! But I love that hug too!

36. Terri Bertalan says:

Your quilt of valor is awesome and I’m sure she loves it!!! Tell her thank you for me please.