WIP Wednesday ~ Basting for Hand Quilting

Yes, hand quilting! I haven’t done that in ages! But this antique top is all hand pieced and deserves to be hand quilted. So I’m using my long arm to baste it and will hand quilt it in a hoop.

I’m using this stencil from Fun with Barb

Before loading the top on the frame, I marked the top. But I only marked the largest arc starting at one corner and working my way around until I reached the center. I plan to fill in the smaller arcs as I go.

This is what the basting looks like.

I’m using this batting and ecru thread.

8 Responses to WIP Wednesday ~ Basting for Hand Quilting

It’s going to be gorgeous! Hugs,

2. piecefulwendy says:

What do you use to mark the quilt with the stencil — the little chalk pen? (I love that thing, thanks for telling me about it.) It’s a beautiful quilt; the hand quilting will be a nice finish!

3. Sharon says:

That’s great that you can use your longarm for basting. I didn’t know you could do that. That would save so much time.

4. Jasmine says:

That looks great. How big are your stitches when you baste by machine?

5. Sandra B says:

Cannot wait to see this one all quilted! I am a hand quilter, so I know it is not a quick process, but so worth the time and effort. Just love the feel of a hand quilted project! I am not familiar with the batting you are using…and cotton batting is my preference….have you used this one before?
    I think the quilting pattern you are using is perfect for this quilt….please share your progress on this so your blog readers can follow the journey!

6. ceciled05 says:

Woo hoo ! Unusual but you will succeed ! I saw on IG your stitches and they are perfect !

7. Barb says:

I really like that quilt! Bret choice to hand quilt. Sometime could you explain your process/thread that you use to machine baste? That’s something I’ve been wanting to learn. Thank you! Barb in Kansas

8. This will be so fun to quilt!! And I doubt you’ll even have to mark the smaller arcs–you can just follow the previous line. I haven’t heard of the Heritage Collection Completely Cotton batting from Mountain Mist. Is it new? I’ve used their Cream Rose and love it for it’s delicious drape.