Nankeen

Do you know what Nankeen is? I didn’t! Not until Saturday night when Mr. Wonderful got home from his most recent trip to China. While there, he scouted out the perfect gift for me! He had to go off the beaten path in Shanghai to find this place.

They design and produce traditional Chinese cotton cloth here called Nankeen.

These stencils are used to apply a resist before the cotton is dyed with indigo.

This brochure explains more about it. I loved every the creative translation!
And here are the pieces he brought home for me. They are all one meter pieces and they are about 17 inches from selvedge to selvedge.

They are more of a true indigo and white than these pictures show. They are so gorgeous!

21 Responses to Nankeen

1. Zenia Rene says:

You truly are blessed. He is wonderful! Nankeen is stunning. What a fabulous experience and perfect gift!

2. Wow, he is definitely a keeper. Those are beautiful.

3. Mary C says:

Wow they are so beautiful.

4. Kathy D says:

How wonderful that you have a life partner who truly “gets” your creative side! So lovely to see photos of the gallery. Looking forward to someday seeing a lovely creation (or more) with these fantastic fabrics.

5. Val W says:

Gorgeous fabric! Husband home with fabric in hand – it doesn’t get any better than that. My hubby brought back silks from a trip to China once. It took a while to suck up my courage to cut into them. We’d love to see how you enjoy these beauties.

6. piecefulwendy says:

Oh Katy, those fabrics are gorgeous. How neat that he went out of his way to bring them to you! The butterflies glow!

7. Sarah says:

Awesome, what a gift both husband and fabric😄 Can’t wait to see how you use them, you are so creative. Love the butterflies.
    Sarah

They are gorgeous!, the article on paper is very interesting. He’s such a good hubby. Hugs to you both,

9. BJ says:

The fabrics are beautiful, but Mr. Wonderful is even more impressive! My own DH is made of the same stuff – he’s gotten marriage proposals from quilt shop customers around the world ;-). I’m not sure I could cut into those beauties! It will be interesting to see what you do with them after the petting is done.

10. Janet O. says:

Mr. Wonderful is aptly named! What treasures you received!! Will you cut into them?

11. Sue B says:

That is tremendous, how beautiful the fabrics are. How wonderful that he made this trip. Just one question, is that motorcycle how he got there? LOL. Lucky you Katy, can’t wait to see what you do with these.

12. ceciled05 says:

Mr Wonderful is really….wonderful ! 🙂

13. Mr Wonderful indeed! These are magnificent. I do love reading brochures that are translated into English. What fun!

14. P.s. My husband would probably have said – “I looked for quilts but didn’t find any” or “oh, I think she must have that fabric already”. Kudos to yours!

15. Oh how lovely! I think those would be hard to cut into. I’d just want to keep them around to pet. You will have to make something very special to remind you of Mr Wonderful’s wonderfulness! (And that is so cool that he took time to take photos, too!!)

Oh, my WORD! They are absolutely gorgeous! There’s no way I could cut into them. I think I’d be tempted to just frame them. Kudos to Mr. Wonderful! He’s wonderful indeed.

17. This is truly special! Mr. Wonderful is so sweet and thoughtful! Please tell him we all said so AND let us know what you do with these works of art!

18. Rochelle says:

Beautiful prints. I did not know what Nankeen was until you told us. What a wonderful guy to bring you such treasured fabric, photos and information. I am sure you will make something special with them.

19. OH Katy I think I have fabric envy! So gorgeous!! What a thoughtful Mr. Wonderful he is.

20. Beautiful. What an awesome gift.

21. Quilter Kathy says:

Such an interesting post! I’ve never heard of this before!