TBT ~ Little Hexies Edition

I think my favorite shape in quilting must be the hexagon. I know, having a favorite shape is a bit odd, but there you have it. I fit the profile! I thought it might be fun to look back at some of the hexie quilts I have made over the years. I have made so many that I am going to break this up into two posts. Today I am sharing some of the small quilts I have made with hexies.

The hexies in this first one are a mere 1/2 inch across.

20131124-200525.jpg

These are a bit bigger at one inch. This was hand quilted every 3/8 inch. These fabrics were from the very first Smithsonian collection. Remember that?

20131103-202858.jpg

Back to the teeny tiny half inchers, this time in vintage fabrics.

20131103-064100.jpg

This one also has tiny hexies, I copied the center of an antique quilt I used to own.

20131102-073015.jpg

Liberty of London hexies!

20131101-063153.jpg

Okay, these are honeycombs, but technically, they are still hexies!

20140227-054614.jpg

More Liberty hexies.20140605-210254.jpg

I know this one is old because I hand pieced it when Daughter #2 was in dance class. She was 4 or 5 at the time.

IMG_2873

This one appeared in Quilt Almanac in the late 1990s.

IMG_2750

Okay, not a quilt, but a pincushion I made from a quilt shop giveaway kit.

img_2210

Machine pieced sometime in the last year!

img_3729

A mug rug.

img_1381

Whew! That’s a bunch of littles! Next time I will share come of my bigger hexie finishes.

This entry was posted in Doll Quilts, Hexagons, Throwback Thursday. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to TBT ~ Little Hexies Edition

1. Kathi says:

Love all your little hexi projects.. esp the pin cushion! Looking forward to your bigger projects tomorrow.. or next Thursday 🙂 Kathi

2. Ruth K says:

Love all the small hexies! Hard to work with the 1/2″ one and getting them sp perfect.

3. piecefulwendy says:

Katy, you never fail to inspire me! A friend recently brought me three Liberty of London prints, and I’ve been wondering what to do with them. I have a pattern with some hexies. Hmm. You may have given me an idea!

4. Val W says:

Sweet little pieces of art. I especially like the Liberty of London prints set with the cream triangles.

5. Julierose says:

Really wonderful little hexagon pieces…love that first one especially hugs, Julierose

6. LuAnn says:

Love your hexagon quilts. That’s one of my favorite shapes, too. Looking forward to more!

7. Sandra B says:

Katy, all these little quilts are great!! I especially like the ones that have the stars!!
    Thanks so much for sharing! Lots of inspiration!!

8. Monique D (B-Maransart) says:

De très beaux ouvrages. J’aime aussi les hexagones. Ils sont très agréables à travailler.

9. Wow, you are a hexie mad woman! I was never a fan of hexies until recently and now I can’t stop making them. I love ALL of these little treasures.

Oh my goodness, these are all wonderful. Hugs,

11. anudge says:

Those are all beautiful. I can see why the hexagon would be your preference.