Throwback Thursday ~ Vintage Tumblers

I’m still working on QOVs so here is another oldie from the closet. A lady from my quilt guild gave me a bag of vintage scraps many years ago. She knew I loved scrap quilts and that I would use them. And I did! This is one of the projects to come out of that bag.

I made this one when we lived in France in the late 1990’s. I remember quilting it on my vintage Singer 401 at the dining room table.

There are so many fun things to look at in this quilt!

In fact, I decided to make it a bit of a puzzle and wrote on the back things for the kids to look for.

Sorry to gross you all out with some stains! My kids used this quilt when they were not feeling well!

For the binding, I just pulled the backing around to the front and top stitched it down.

It has some construction issues, but I  still love this quilt. I think I should get it out the next time I am feeling under the weather.

Linking up with My Quilt Infatuation

This entry was posted in Throwback Thursday, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Throwback Thursday ~ Vintage Tumblers

1. blackeyedsewsan says:

I SO LOVE THIS! Stains and all. I finished Vintage Farm Girl mixing feedsacks, 30’s fabrics with modern and adore it. They are wonderful

2. Jayne says:

A beautiful explosion of beauty! The stains, well it shows that this quilt was used and loved! I revisit my feed sack prints about once a year. They are always fun to play with and always fun to look at!

3. WOW!! LOVE THIS QUILT!! The stains tell me that it is a well loved quilts and yes, it still has many, many miles in her! Love the questions on the back…fun and beautiful! I bet this is the one that all your ‘kids’ will want as a memory of their childhood!

I love your quilt!!! You should use it all the time. Cuddle up when your thinking about your next project. I love the messages on the back. Hugs,

5. piecefulwendy says:

I love scrappy quilts, and this one is just so fun! What a great idea, writing on the back! And now it’s a fun memory quilt. Definitely a snuggle-under, feel loved quilt. Thanks for sharing!

6. Sandra B says:

Love this quilt!!! Scrappy quilts are my favorites….and I always try to get as many fabrics as possible in each scrappy quilt I make….
    This quilt is great in so many ways….lots of fun fabrics and color, great pattern, great quilting, and, most of all…..GREAT MEMORIES… A real treasure, for sure!!

7. anudge says:

What a colorful quilt, Katy. Love it.

Scrappy quilts are among my favorites!! I love that you wrote puzzling questions on the back to occupy the childrens’ minds when they were under the weather. Too cute!

9. I LOVE real scrappy quilts, and this totally qualifies. It’s beautiful. Are the scraps actually vintage 30s prints? Or are they reproductions? I obviously don’t know enough about fabrics to have any idea how to tell the difference. I was fortunate myself to buy a scrappy strip quilt at an auction, for just $25 which is a really old quilt with authentic vintage fabrics. I haven’t had it appraised, but I can tell the maker used scraps from clothing. It’s in remarkably good shape, no holes, just some fading and signs of use and wear.

10. Martha says:

What a fabulous quilt, and such fun to see all those wonderful vintage prints. I believe those are 1940s designs, as they are a little brighter than the more pastel colors of the 30s — anyway, they’re amazing! I love that it’s been well loved. Thanks so much for sharing your amazing quilt!

11. What a treasure!!! Live all those fabrics…and memories.

12. Linda Dutch says:

What’s not to love about this quilt! So colourful, I love those scrappy vintage fabrics!