Design Wall Monday ~ Mixology

Daughter #3 gave me this beautiful Mixology jelly roll for Mother’s Day. I just love it! And I have admired it all rolled up long enough, It was time to break that baby open!

When I open a jelly roll, I press the strips and then lay them on my 2 1/2 inch strip cutter and run them through the studio cutter.

I don’t know about you, but the one thing I don’t like about precuts, is trying to decide where the edge really is! Do you line things up with the peaks of the pinked edge or the valleys? If I trim them, then I know that the outer edge is the outer edge! As you can see, there isn’t much that gets trimmed off, but that little bit is enough to confuse me.

It is a bit of a messy process, but I run a hand held vacuum over my die and it cleans up pretty easily. And here they are all cut and ready to sew!

This is the block I plan to use as I drafted it in EQ7.

img_2281

I’m not sure I will start stitching this right away. I like to spend time cutting and kitting things up so I have them ready to go when I have time to stitch.

Linking up with Em’s Scrap BagLove Laugh QuiltCooking Up QuiltsPatchwork Times

This entry was posted in Accuquilt Studio Cutter, Jelly Rolls, Modern Quilts, Precuts, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Design Wall Monday ~ Mixology

1. Funny! That is exactly why I don’t use precuts. I think you have found the solution. This one is going to be gorgeous!

2. piecefulwendy says:

Oh, those fabrics! This should be fun — can’t wait to see it start to come together!

3. Linda Carpenter says:

This pattern is what Bonnie Hunter calls “Garlic Knots”. Your blocks will be lovely.

4. Sandra B says:

Love those fabrics…beautiful colors!
    Looking forward to seeing this one come together!!

5. Ila Migut says:

What a great idea for trimming! I’ve been avoiding those strips for a while! Are you going to make the blocks with 2 colors so that they look as if they’re twisted? I’ve been playing with the same pattern. I can’t wait to see how you put it together. Thanks for sharing!

6. Jayne says:

Daughters are great! Especially when they know what we like in fabric! I’ve never been sure on the precut edges either. You found a solution to that problem! Can’t wait to see more!

7. Sandra says:

This looks like it will make up a terrific quilt! Might have to try it with one of my two jelly rolls. (lol, only two, better drop a suggestion both daughters’ ways as to a terrific gift idea)

8. Yay! I do like a commonsense solution. You have hit it! Have fun with these. It’s going to be a pretty quilt.

9. Chantal says:

I am with Constant Quilter on this one. I don’t buy precuts. Your solution is perfect. A little vacuuming never killed anyone, lol. Enjoy! ;^)

10. So smart! That’s exactly why I have a love/hate relationship with precuts – I never know where the edge is! Your solution is perfect. 🙂

11. 8machines says:

I have this jelly roll and just love the bright colors. I really like your pattern! It’s going to be so pretty!!

12. Kate says:

Looking forward to seeing your blocks come together. It’s going to be a colorful quilt.