Finish It Up Friday ~ Black and White Reveal!

You have all been so very patient and indulgent with me as I have worked on this project. It is a rather long time coming! But there are reasons for that which I will share with all of you today. I started this way back some time last year.

I began working on it , but do you know how hard it is to keep all those one inch finished squares in a certain order? Because they HAD to be in perfect order. One misplaced square and the whole project was sunk. So I set it aside.

There is another part of this story so follow me down this rabbit trail for a bit. Around the end of the year, I noticed I was getting VERY close to the limit of storage space allowed for my blog. In order to get more storage, I had to start forking over money or deleting posts. I decided to spend some money on this blogging hobby and paid for my own domain name. Some of you regular and astute readers will know that around the first of the year, my address changed to katyquilts.net. Now if you have the old blog address, you are redirected here so no big deal. But this also meant my project was put on hold because my plan was to create…..a QR Code quilt that would link to my blog!

I used an online QR Code generator to get this:

My road map! Since I was starting over, I looked for an easier method to make this small quilt and I decided to use this product.

IMG_6549

It was a good move. It was like a jigsaw puzzle to put all the pieces in place and that was quite fun! This shows all the squares fused in place.

And with the rows in one direction sewn, you can really see how the size changes.

Next came borders and quilting. I wasn’t sure how the quilting would go with the layer of fusible in this, but it worked out just fine. Ready for some finished pictures? Here you go!

IMG_9573

Ta daaaaa!

IMG_9579

I quilted this in a simple free hand grid. No rulers. I just eyeballed the middle of the block. When I got all the lines in one direction, I took it off the frame and rotated it 90 degrees and reloaded it. I love this backing fabric from Ikea!

IMG_9570

You can see the quilting better here. It is far from exact, but it works for me.

IMG_9571

IMG_9576

And there you have it. A long story indeed for a small quilt! But it was something I had in the back of my mind for a long time and I am glad I finally did it. And best of all, it works! If you have a QR Code scanner app on your phone or mobile device and scan this quilt (even the picture of it), it will bring you to my blog! How cool is that? It makes this nerdy little heart happy :).

This is where it is currently residing in the sewing room:

IMG_9587

Linking up with Confessions of a Fabric AddictCrazy Mom QuiltsDevoted Quilter, A Quilting Reader’s Garden, A Quilted Passion

This entry was posted in Finishes, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to Finish It Up Friday ~ Black and White Reveal!

1. Lisa says:

This worked out wonderfully. I’m glad you found the time to finish this one and that backing fabric is something I just have to have for the project I’m working on right now.

2. Judy says:

Watching this come together has been so fun, would have never guessed your end game! haha I did however notice that your blog address had changed. . . OK, maybe several months later but I did notice! Beautifully done and that backing fabric is fabulous!

3. Kathy D. says:

What a sweet little quilt, and I love that backing! This was worth the wait.

4. Beautiful love love the backing

5. Lynn says:

Very cute and great quilting.

6. piecefulwendy says:

Haha! I love it. Cute quilt, and that backing is wonderful! And congrats to having your own domain!

7. Val W says:

I like how you hung the QR quilt over the antique machine. There’s room for everything in the quilting world!

8. Vicki in MN says:

So how do you find out how much storage space your blog has used?

9. lynn jarzombeck says:

I love it!!! This is just fantastic and the ikea fabric on the back is perfect. Your quilting fits it superbly.

10. redeemedsheep says:

Really cute idea!!!

11. Linda Mincher says:

That is fabulous! It is beautiful front and back, and that is such a great idea! Congratulations on the finish.

12. This is a really fun quilt and I love the inspiration behind it. Worked beautifully on my phone. 🙂 That backing fabric is fabulous, and the red binding….swoon!

13. I have to admit, I would never have guessed it. I don’t have a smart phone yet (I know, I know!) so I don’t use those things. I really thought it was a crossword puzzle, but I love this! Good job keeping us guessing.

14. Kate Heads says:

Great idea, and the square quilting setts it off so well. I so love the backing.

15. Vivian says:

Cool, cool, so very cool! And even cooler is where you have it displayed (love the red binding and desk)!!

16. Wow, isn’t that cool!! I love it!

17. Beverly Parrish says:

And once again WOW!!! What an ingenious idea. Love it. Love the backing material and quilting. Just proves that if you see it, you can make a quilt.

18. Neat idea! Did you use a clear monofiliment thread on top for the quilting? I always get stuck on the quilting when I have high contrast areas and want to do a continuous line. I have my QR code, just never thought to make a quilt with it.

19. anudge says:

How cool is that. I’ve used that method for making a colorwash quilt and I know just what you mean about those itty bitty squares. I’ll have to get me one of those app so I can play with it. You’re expanding my world. AND the back is great! Thanks for linking to WIPs Be Gone.

20. Louise says:

You have done it again…great job! I really like your “splash” of color in the backing and binding.
    Also like the contrast of the old and new in the last photo!

21. Mart says:

How do you hang your quilts?

22. Quiltmouse says:

Great! And it works. I wondered if the quilting would affect the scanning, but no problem. And I’m sure the use of the fusible grid made it less frustrating to maintain the image. Glad to hear that the fusible didn’t cause issues with the quilting.

I love it, and such a neat story to explain it! Have a great weekend. Hugs,

24. Susan says:

Fabulous! This would certainly require a check and double check, as placement is crucial. Wouldn’t want someone going to the wrong blog or worse yet, an error code. Well done!

Are you KIDDING me??? Holy Moley, Katy!! This is brilliant! I’m totally floored. Love, love, love it and the backing is just fabulous!

26. Cécile says:

OMG !! That’s too much ! Brilliant !
    Congrats to this finish Katy and like the others, I love the backing fabric !

27. So very cool! And beautiful, at the same time. But I could never put a gorgeous print like that on the back of a quilt I was going to hang on the wall.

28. Christine says:

What a great idea for a quilt…That is so cool! The quilting is great, I love organic lines (mainly because I couldn’t stitch a straight line to save my life!). That backing is pretty fab too! Fantastic work!

29. Barbara says:

Love your quilt, and like most of the commenters, I LOVE that backing fabric. Couldn’t find it online. Do you know the name of that pattern?

30. Kathy Hoback says:

Katy, you are just the coolest person!

31. Jean Burke says:

This is seriously cool! Great idea – and beautifully realized. The backing is the cherry on top! Nicely done – thanks for sharing….

32. That’s an awesome little quilt! How fun to make a quilt that links to your blog! I love the backing fabric too…it’s so different from the front, but goes so well with it. I would imagine the fusible made it a million times easier to get all the squares in the right places 🙂 Thanks for linking to TGIFF this week.

33. Kathleen says:

This is brilliant!! I bet you’re the first one to have this idea and I have a feeling others will follow your lead. And it looks perfect hanging where you have it.

34. Sue says:

That is truly amazing. What a clever idea

35. Zenia Rene says:

EVERYTHING about this quilt is absolutely perfect Katy! Well done!

36. Sophie says:

Super fun idea ! I love the pop of red with the binding.

37. dona says:

Holy Moly, That is soooo cool.

38. Just catching up on reading blogs and I am so glad I popped over. I have been wondering what the B&W squares were for – it is brilliant! And the fact it actually works is awesome!! Not that I can get a QR scanner app working on my phone otherwise I would definitely just play with this. It’s looking great about the table and machine!!!

39. Patti says:

Had me fooled. I had no idea you were going this way with the black & white. Great quilt!