Finish It Up Friday ~ The Minky Quilt

Okay, I am not sure this is technically Minky fabric, but Minky Type quilt doesn’t have much of a ring to it :). This quilt is for my nephew and his bride to be. The wedding is in July. You may remember this Tina Given FQ bundle given to me by Daughter #1 for Christmas. She also gave me a Tina Given layer cake for my birthday.img_3068-1

I found the minky like fabric when I was out in Arizona and as soon as I saw it, I knew it would be the perfect backing for these fabrics. It took me a while to come up with a plan.img_3129

And I had to recut fabrics for the sashing when I decided this just wasn’t right. But I finally got the top together and this week I got it quilted.img_1629-1

I used a low loft poly batting by Pellon as the backing made this quilt pretty darn heavy to begin with. I had read that the backing really needed to be loaded with the least stretchy direction between the rollers. I didn’t have enough fabric to load it this way so I broke the rules. Nothing new there! LOL! I did make sure to load it loosely and I did not tighten the rollers anywhere near as much as I normally do. I used Glide thread in the top and Magna Glide pre-wound bobbins. I only had one thread break on the entire top and no tension issues whatsoever.  I used my current favorite panto, Any Which Way. The quilting was trouble free and made me wonder why I put it off so long!

Here is a look before washing.IMG_6167

I had a tough time getting good finished photos, this quilt s very heavy and I didn’t think the pant hangers are normally use would be adequate. So here it is on my deck.

A close up after washing:

The backing:

This next one is the best for showing true color.

I threw it on my guest bed for a few shots as well.

Love the soft light coming in this window.

While the quilting was trouble free, piecing the backing and the binding were not. I hat shredded thread and skipped stitches everywhere.

This took way longer than it should have due to all the fixing and rethreading. I used my Bernina 1030 last time I used minky and ended up having to have my machine retimed! My Singer 301 didn’t like it much better. It feels wonderful and was a breeze to quilt, but I’m over it. Love the way this quilt turned out, but I won’t use minky again.

Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts, Confessions of a Fabric Addict,   Sew Can She, Quokka Quilts

This entry was posted in Bed Quilts, Finishes, HQ Avante, Longarm Quilting. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Finish It Up Friday ~ The Minky Quilt

1. I’m sorry you had a difficult time with the Minky … the quilt is beautiful and I’m sure it will be appreciated … hopefully that will make up for the aggravation you had in getting it finished.

2. la masure says:

Love this fabrics…Quilt for spring…
    Véronique

3. Wendy Reed says:

Just beautiful! What a thoughtful gift!

Your quilt came out beautiful! I’ve only used Minky in a baby quilt, so the size was easier to handle. Hugs, Sandi. ps. Have a good weekend!

5. Sandra B says:

Beautiful quilt, Katy! All the fabrics in that collection are great….and that solid color was a perfect choice….just curious, is the solid Kona Ash? It’s one of my favorite solids these days.
    Thanks for sharing this great finish…..and have a great weekend!

6. Louise says:

I agree with Sandra, the solid was a great choice for this quilt. This is a very special wedding gift!
    The prints in this collection are great. I must say though, you are braver than I to use Minkee on the machine..

7. Jasmine says:

What a wonderful gift. This quilt is beautiful and looks so cuddly. I’m sorry you struggled with the minky on back. I have used it on several quilts and have never had that problem.

Oh, the finished quilt is FABULOUS!! The bride and groom will just love it and they’ll cherish it for many years to come. Well done, Katy!

9. Preeti says:

Simple pattern lets the beautiful fabrics shine!!! The quilting is really lovely. This quilt will be loved and treasured.

10. Nancy says:

I have heard that minky is a little challenging to use in a quilt but have never tried it myself. Your quilt is beautiful. It looks peaceful, restful, inviting. That young couple will love it, I’m sure.

11. Carie says:

It does look amazing though – so very snuggly and properly huge, so definitely worth it in the long run!!

12. Terri Bertalan says:

I’m sure the bride and groom will just love it. It is amazing and looks like the perfect quilt to snuggle with 🙂

13. Gunilla says:

I love this quilt and the color of the sashing, perfect!!!

14. Vic in NH says:

Beautifully done! thank you for the many pictures and I love your guest room’s headboard!