WIP Wednesday

I haven’t forgotten this quilt.  In fact, after the four log cabin blocks, I decided I would not allow myself to cut any more until this top was pieced.

This is the backing fabric.

Now I need to figure out how to piece this backing. I know I am supposed to load this so that the “stretch” of the fabric is parallel to the bars. But since I have to piece the backing, doing it this way will mean a seam allowance will be perpendicular to the rollers. Not a good idea as it will create a large ridge on the backing roller and uneven tension across the back of the quilt.

Anyone have any great ideas on how to deal with this?

Linking up with Sew Fresh Quilts, Quilt Fabrication

8 Responses to WIP Wednesday

1. Luann says:

Diagonal seams on the backing? Sewing slippery fabrics together is tough enough, and several seams would be a pain. How about turning your quilt upside down? Putting an extra border on the top which would then be the back, and putting your stretchy fabric on the top? USE the ‘glide’ foot to go over and not be pushing fabric around. A gentle meander so it goes quickly? Just a thought for dealing with elasticity in cloth,,,
    I’m so encouraged by all of your posts.
    How are things coming along for the future deployment? May God keep her close to Him and return her safely to you.
    Luann

2. piecefulwendy says:

I have no suggestions, but the quilt is lovely and will be wonderful to cuddle under.

3. Joy says:

Luann has great suggestions. I have used a diagonal seam before, although not on minky, and it worked well.

4. I didn’t know any of this!! I look forward to reading the answer! I would have placed the quilt with the seam perpendicular and held my breath!!

5. Jennifer says:

I have no clue to help you out, but love your quilt and the backing.

6. Tish says:

Unfortunately, I do not know a thing about long arm quilting. But I love that minky for the back

7. JanineMarie says:

I’m no help. I know nothing about minky or longarms. But that backing looks so rich and soft. I hope you find a solution because it’s going to be lovely. I love the contrast between the cottons on the front and the softness of the back.

8. Susan says:

I would probably go with the diagonal backing. At least it would be a win-win.