DWMonday ~ Scrappy Rectangle Leader/Enders

I am greatly enjoying the sunshine and my family here in AZ, but I do have something  on  my design wall back at home. I started using these bits that I cut up for leaders/enders.img_0767

And this is what I have so far.

Rather than making long rows of tiny pieces, I am making them into blocks. Each block has 32 pieces, which sounds like a lot but they go together faster than you think! I will need 64 blocks for a quilt that is 96 inches square.img_0764

Each block has an even number of pieces and an even number of rows. This is important for pressing purposes. Each intersection should result in nesting seams for a  nice, flat top.

Linking up with Patchwork Times, Cooking Up Quilts, Em’s ScrapbagLove Laugh Quilts

This entry was posted in Design Wall Monday, Scraps. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to DWMonday ~ Scrappy Rectangle Leader/Enders

1. I really like this idea and the gray solid keeps the ‘scrappy-ness’ from being overwhelming. Can’t wait to see the finished top!

2. Melanie says:

Love it! You are so organized!

3. Val W says:

Your gray fabric really lets the scraps shine. This quilt looks much more dramatic than it would have been with white in place of the gray. Love it!

4. Bonnie in Va says:

Clever way to use some of those scraps. Yes, the grey does bring it all together. Have fun in AZ.

I love your idea! Can I ask the size of the small pieces you cut? Thanks, hugs,

6. Jannette B says:

That’s a great leader / ender project, and having a very set pattern makes it easy to put together. Thanks for sharing it!

7. Shasta says:

This is a pretty way to use your scraps and come up with a nice quilt out of it.

8. This is so lovely. Interesting to read that you are making blocks first as opposed to rows – I love to know how other quilters work!

9. Scrap quilts are so fun, especially when the scrap pieces are paired with a nice solid. I like gray as a background, it’s a refreshing break from white. Enjoy your trip and your kiddo’s! Thanks for linking up to MCM.

10. Love that grey! This is a simple but lovely quilt. Bet you’ll do some awesome quilting on it!

11. Sandra B says:

Scrappy quilts are my favorites and I love using the rectangles with the gray alternating blocks….sort of an updated version of checkerboard quilts which are dear to my heart….it is a fresh look for a traditional pattern!
    There was a time not too long ago that I would not even consider using gray in a quilt…..but recently, it seems that every quilt I make, or plan to make, uses gray!! I just finished a quilt using Kona ash, and it turned out to be one of my favorite quilts, ever!
    I was just thinking yesterday that it was time to cut some scraps into squares….after seeing your post today, I am thinking I want to do rectangles instead!

12. Looks really good! It is amazing how quickly those leader/ender projects grow!

13. Linda Smith says:

My calculations say each rectangle is cut 2 inches by 3.5 inches.
    Am I correct? PS. I agree with the consensus. The solid pulls everything together to calm the craziness of the patches. Lets them shine. Great work.

14. Em says:

I really like this. I’ve been looking for a new leaders and enders project. I might have to try something like this