Finish It Up Friday ~ Morning Star

This turned out to be my last finish for 2015. And it is one of, if not my oldest, UFOs so that makes it a great finish! The first series of pictures were taken before washing. I used Glide thread for the quilting and two layers of batting, one 100% cotton (off brand from JoAnn’s) and one layer of Pellon low loft poly. Here is a look at the back. I used an ancient piece of pink calico from the late 80s-early 90s.

I made a template out of paper for the feather spines and the feathers themselves were quilted freehand.
The rest of these pictures show the quilt after washing. You can really see the difference from the picture above to the one just below.

I am not happy with the feather wreathes in the centers, but they don’t show up much anyway.
I also seem to have a really hard time quilting a piano key border and keeping it even! Again, it doesn’t show enough to bother me too badly here.

I am not sure where this one will end up. I may just hang it over my bed.

Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts, Confessions of a Fabric Addict, Richard and Tanya QuiltsA Quilted Passion

This entry was posted in Finishes, Free Motion Quilting. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Finish It Up Friday ~ Morning Star

1. Kathy D says:

Have been waiting to see the finished version of this one, and you didn’t disappoint. Love it! Your quilting on it is just fantastic!

2. Lynn says:

Those feathers are gorgeous. And the backing is pretty cute too. Congratulations on a finish – what a good feeling!

3. Nothing wrong with those feathers! And lovely texture after washing! What a way to finish up 2015!

4. what a successful finish for such an old UFO! and you even like it enough to hang over your bed- great job!!!

5. Linda Mincher says:

Congratulations on the finish! That is a lovely quilt.

6. Lindi says:

Nice job! Congrats on the finish! L

It’s absolutely PERFECT in every way! [I had dining room chair cushions and yardage in a very similar cabbage rose fabric in those exact colors in the 90’s].

8. Sandra B says:

Katy, I love this quilt!!! I have always loved this block pattern, and your setting works so well….I also like the quilting you chose! Can you tell that I love everything about this one?!
    Thanks for sharing!

9. dona says:

the quilting on this is just wonderful. very nice!

10. JanineMarie says:

Congrats on finishing an oldie!! I really like how you swirled the quilting around the flowers. It ties everything together instead of separating them.

11. Penny says:

Wonderful quilt and great job on the quilting!

12. Love the quilting! I’ve heard about using two batts for some time now, but haven’t tried it yet. Your result is so beautiful, you may have just inspired me to try it soon. I jumped over here from Whoomp There It Is, and I’m so glad I did. Great finish to the year!

13. Katy, you are way too hard on yourself. That is a failing most quilters seem to share. I like every part of your quilt. Number one – it’s finished! And it really is beautiful in every way. Great job!

14. Speechless—-this is stunning!