Finish It Up Friday ~ QOV

I had my Intrepid Thread challenge piece all done and the blog post written when I realized the big reveal isn’t until January! I had this QOV loaded and needing a Friday finish was just the motivation I needed to get it done last night.

Cool top made by a member of the Stitching Sisters QOV group. The quilting was a hard fought battle though.

Sigh.

See this white on white fabric?

Every time I hit this, the top thread jumped out of the tension discs.  Every time. You see these fabrics have the design applied like paint. It sits on top of the fabric instead  of soaking into the fibers like dye. It feels rubbery. When the needle hit that, it grabbed onto the thread and pulled it right out of the discs. This isn’t the piecer’s fault. But it was very frustrating. I stopped and ripped on every row.

Here is a look at the back.

I’m so glad this one is done! What have you finished this week?

Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts, Confessions Of A Fabric Addict, Richard and Tanya Quilts, A Quilted Passion, Anja Quilts

This entry was posted in Finishes, Quilt of Valor. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Finish It Up Friday ~ QOV

1. Aha! I had that problem a while ago and absolutely couldn’t figure out why it was happening. I ended up rethreading my machine and didn’t use one of the guide bars which helped. I’m trying to remember now if that fabric was in the quilt…..hmmm. So sorry it was a frustrating quilt, but at least now you can check it off the ‘to do’ list! 🙂

2. Val says:

Note to self – don’t go out of my way to buy tone-on-tone muslins. Thanks for the reminder about what makes longarmers happy.

3. Kathy says:

That QOV is beautiful … I’m sorry it gave you fits. If it’s any consolation, those tone-on-tones with the painted on color can be hard to hand quilt as well.

4. Teresa Moore says:

I have had problems with that type of fabric before. Glad you got it done. I finished a small hst on point with a reproduction fabric, yellow background with little girl wearing red. Scraps I could not throw away. Hope your weekend is great.

5. Lara B. says:

Now I know never to buy that type of white fabric again… what a trial! The quilt is great and the design you used to quilt it looks wonderful Katy! Whoop whoop for you persevering!

6. Heidi says:

Sounds frustrating, but this is a pretty finish and I do love your use of red thread. Great quilt for the Fourth 🙂

7. alycia says:

Beautiful quilt – your quilting is great – sorry about the problems – That always mnakes it less fun!

8. Zenia Rene says:

WHOOMP There IT Is! Sounds terribly frustrating though. Is there a lot of that white on white fabric in the quilt.? I really like the quilting design and you did a lovely job quilting it. Do you know the name of the quilt pattern?

9. Great quilt and great quilting. Too bad about that fabric that caused trouble. Thanks for linking up with TGIFF.

10. Louise says:

I agree with you about the white on whites “painted” fabrics. My gammill is never happy with them!

11. Terri says:

So sorry about Greg’s quilt, I will make sure we discuss materials texture at our next meeting. But honestly I don’t think I’ve ever bought one like that. I think he bought his material at Walmart though. 😦  Thank you for your time you put into that one. Hopefully you won’t run into that again.  Terri Bertalan

12. Nancy says:

The quilt is delightful and is a “pattern” I was wondering about — not one that I’d ever seen before but because of all the strings I have I was trying to imagine how triangle strings in two directions might look. Now I know.

I never liked the white on white prints. Well, I like the appearance from a distance but have never really enjoyed using them.

Congrats on your finish!

13. ~Deb says:

Frustrating, isn’t it – when you’re ALL psyched up to quilt and BLAM, dang-it already on those ‘challenging-I-don’t-wish-to-be-quilted’ fabrics! But, persevere we do and job well done! Love that panto – used it on a couple of QBBs a while back, turned out great 😉

Managed to FINALLY finish up, for the most part, my plague-type cold/flu, set up the family Christmas tree in my zest to be well again, enjoyed hauling out ALL the empty boxes from the recent lower level re-org on the Betty Boop quilting studio, finished Clue #1 on the QOV Mystery of Alycia’s, and am now half-way through a Quilt of Valor…it’s FUN being back!

Keep on Quilting ON – I so enjoy ALL your latest quilty endeavors,
    ~Deb

14. That must have been frustrating. Those printed fabrics are difficult – I wonder if the pattern would deteriorate at a faster rate than other fabrics within a quilt? I have managed to finish a Christmas table runner this week but haven’t had time to write a post about it. Always enjoy reading your posts and seeing your projects, Katy. Have a good week.