DW Monday And Internet Envy

I am not at home but I thought I would share what is on my design wall back home. I confess that I spent a few hours working exclusively on my Downton 4 patch instead of just working it as leaders/enders. I had some time before I left but didn’t want to start working on the quilt on the frame and I didn’t want to start a new project, so I sewed a few more blocks. Now I am up to 16 of 30. And I am liking it more with every block.

Have you ever started seeing something on Instagram or on blogs and started thinking you needed whatever it was you saw? A great FQ bundle perhaps or some new gadget. Well, I am not immune. For quite some time, I’ve noticed that many serious quilters love their Juki TL 2010Q machines. They are large straight stitch machines that stitch very fast. I started pricing them out and reading reviews here and there. I usually use one of my Featherweights for piecing.

And I often use my vintage Bernina as well. But neither of them are all that fast.

I kept telling myself that I do not need another machine! Still I looked. It might not be any better than what I already have. This would be an expensive experiment in that case.

The other day, I decided to pull out one of my vintage Singer 301s. I hadn’t used one for piecing in a long time.

Guess what? This machine is fast and smooth! More so than I had remembered!

I really don’t need another machine. I already have everything I could want and more.

Problem solved. Envy gone.

Linking up with Patchwork Times for DWMonday and Cooking Up Quilts for MCM

16 Responses to DW Monday And Internet Envy

1. Kathy says:

I am loving your Downton 4P more each time I see it. Glad you found a solution to your desire for speedy stitching … from your own machines.

2. Sandie says:

I absolutely love my 301’s for piecing! Have a Bernina 440QE, and 2 Featherweights but the 301’s are my favorites too.

3. Janet O. says:

Beauty of a 4-patch!
    Ah, isn’t the internet envy monster a tough one to tame sometimes? You did an admiral job, but I have to tell you it gave me a chuckle. I have never wanted a machine that could go faster. I am so NOT a speedy piecer. It made me wonder if someone talked about how slow and steady a machine was at piecing, would I be tempted by that? *LOL*

4. Kaja says:

Now I am looking at your Featherweight and 301 and experiencing internet envy too! I don’t think anything stitches better than these older machines.

5. The quilt is coming out great! 🙂

6. katyquilts says:

I agree! I love them!

7. katyquilts says:

Haha! You never know! I love a machine that will go a stitch at a time as well.

8. I love a fast machine. Check the foot control on your Bernina. Some of them have a speed control on them. You have so many beautiful older machines!

9. Judi says:

I get that machine envy when I go to classes. But I love my old Janome and can’t see a reason to get anything else!

10. Mary says:

I’m trying to figure out the “block” on the quilt shown today. I think it is just beautiful!

11. Cécile says:

Lovely machines Katy ! Wow !!

12. I think it is amazing howl God supplies even my wants in totally unexpected ways. Today a new apt neighbor, whom I had never met, brought me a loaf of homemade bread and some fabric in the colors I need. Enjoy your free “new” machine.

13. knitnkwilt says:

Good resistance on your part. Sometimes it is hard to define “enough.” As for me, I don’t always sew as fast as my Featherweight will go, so I am not tempted by speedy machines. Bigger throatplate, maybe, but not speed.

14. Downtown 4P is looking great, love all the colors in it.

15. Edwina Finet says:

I have a 12 year old Juki Tle, which was replaced by the one you mentioned. I shopped a while for mine, and bought it because of the speed and also the quality of the stitch, plus the fact that it handles any job I give it (upholstery, etc.). But I did not have the number and variety of machines that you have. I would recommend the Juki to anyone shopping for a new machine. The quilting machines do not have the fancy stitches, but you can drop the feed dogs for free motion quilting. Juki makes one with decoratvie stitches, but I have no experience with those. I too, like your 4 patch project— can’t wait to see the finish.

16. Donna says:

Well, I now have Featherweight envy. Pam let me sew on one of hers this weekend (yes, she now has 3). I love how they sound and sew.