Finish It Up Friday and How long does it take to make a quilt?

Thank you to everyone for your wonderful comments this week! I apologize for being woefully behind in responding. Looks like it will be a bit hit or miss this summer.

I finished my hour glass quilt June 23. Hour glasses were once used to measure time. It made me think about the question everyone seems to ask, how long does it take to make a quilt? I am sure you have been asked this as well. I never know how to answer. Mr. Wonderful bought these fabrics for me on a trip three years ago. So did this quilt take three years?

I cut the pieces out for this quilt in April. So did it take three months?

I started playing with layouts  the end of May. So did it take three weeks?

I initially wanted it to be reminiscent of a flag and planned to display it for the 4th. This plan only worked if I pieced it like the second picture below. But I would have had to find more blues and leave some reds out. This goes against my sense of thrift.

So this is the layout I chose. It used every last piece with nothing left over other than the small triangles I cut for a leader/ender project.

I started piecing this June 16, so did this take a week?

IMG_3153

I started quilting it on Sunday, June 21.

I finished on Monday, June 22,  and then auditioned binding.
  I ended up with this  which I am quite happy with. I finished the hand sewing Monday night.

And this is how it looks after I washed and dried it on Tuesday, June 23.
  I used a pantograph called Random Clams from Urban Elementz. It is not the easiest pattern to follow. My work is all hand guided, no computers. I was not happy with my quilting but it looks better after washing and a bit of crinkly shrinking.

I wanted the impression of random Baptist fans without the stiff regularity of the Baptist Fan panto that I have.

Here is a shot of the back.

So not at all the flag I was going for, but it still has a patriotic feel. It finished at about “46 x 58” after washing.

How long would you say this took?

Anyway, Happy Independence Day!

Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts, Richard and Tanya Quilts, Pink Doxies, Confessions of a Fabric Addict, Quilt Shop Gal.

This entry was posted in Civil War Repro Quilts, Finishes, Pantographs, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Finish It Up Friday and How long does it take to make a quilt?

1. Janet O. says:

However long you decide to say it took, I love it! : )

2. I get asked that question all the time too! I keep thinking I should keep track of the hours I spend on each project but I never do! Your quilt is lovely – no matter how long it took!!

3. I expect someone somewhere does keep track of hours spent on a quilt but it’s not easy. What about the lying in bed thinking time? Travelling to buy materials? I tried to keep a record of time spent hand quilting a medium sized quilt – at least 70 hours and that was a very open pattern! Main thing is I enjoyed all those hours! And I really like your quilt, especially the random clam shells – did you do them as a continuous pattern or have to break and start again with each new ‘calm’?

4. Gina says:

I always say a quilt takes as long to make as it wants. I’ve made bed sized quilts in a weekend and I’ve mini’s that have taken months. I don’t count the time in boxes though. I only the count the amount of time I’ve actually worked on it. Anyway no body said anything about quilting being a speed past time

5. Great finish!! What a great question. Might be a good project to keep track next time out of curiousity.

6. Margie West says:

Wow very nice finish! To me keeping track of the time would take away from the enjoyment I receive in making it. Happy Fourth! Margie/NY

7. Jean Etheridge says:

I think the quilting looks great!

8. Cécile says:

For me, a quilt begins when I have the pattern under the eyes and I’m thinking about fabrics to realize it….. Yours looks great and the quilting too !!
    Happy 4th of July ! 😉

9. Sue says:

I’m often asked that too, mostly by non-quilters, & I always say I have no idea because I work on them when I have time. Love the panto & the fact that you said you weren’t happy with some of your quilting. I just did my first panto on a quilt I’m gifting & I wasn’t impressed with my ability to follow the pattern, but, the quilt is quilted and I know the girl I’m giving it to will be quite happy. Thanks for your inspiration Katy. Happy 4th of July. Beautiful quilt.

This quilt is lovely and it does look like Baptist Fans. That is probably my favorite quilting pattern. For me a quilt takes as long as it takes. I don’t always stay with one thing. You make so many pretty quilts but I think you are much more organized than I am, but that’s ok. I just love seeing your work. You inspire me to do more. Have a great weekend! Hugs,

11. Linda says:

I like the other color you threw into the middle squares, it almost looks like a flash of green.

12. Vicki in MN says:

I like how you laid it out, makes me wantta make one! And thanks for your comment on my flag quilt my blog-you came in as a no reply 😦 I guess if I had to say how long a quilt took me I would only clock the time I spent cutting, sewing and quilting it, but there is much more, the picking of fabrics etc.

13. Jayne says:

Now that is the Million dollar question!! I guess each person has their own idea. I have never timed myself on making a quilt. How many times I get up to fold laundry, cook, eat, just walk away in the middle of piecing or quilting?! It would be impossible to keep track!

14. I always tell my non quilty friends that it takes Forever! to make a quilt. I don’t want them to get any ideas 😉

Your new layout looks great!

15. maartjequilt says:

I know it will take more hours than I planned, when I sew a quilt for a present. Most of the times I do not finish it in time!!! But you make a lovely quilt in a short time, Congrats with your finish.

16. I actually do keep track of the hours I spend on a quilt because I often work on commissioned quilts and need to have good estimates for people. I don’t tend to count time buying fabric, but design time, fabric prep/cutting, piecing, quilting, and binding are all stats I try to track for my work. Maybe I’m weird that way, but I like to know!

Your quilted finish looks great – the fan quilting pattern is perfect and I hope you have a lovely and safe 4th, too.

17. Kathy Hoback says:

Mr. Wonderful really IS Mr. Wonderful, I think..plus, he is very good at choosing quilt fabric!

18. Great quilt with great QUILTING!!!
    Greetings from Poland to U.S. 🙂
    Kamila

19. great quilt, and i don’t see a single thing wrong with your quilting. love baptist fans, and this is a great variation. job well done!

20. Cynthia says:

It is amazing in the design process how we start with an idea and the change that happen along the way to our finished project. A,great finish.

21. Dawn says:

I never keep track of how long a quilt took. I usually respond to the question by saying it doesn’t matter to me as I quilt for fun. Your quilt is pretty, and I hope you enjoy it! BTW, nice fabric shopper you have!

22. Patti P says:

I’m so glad to see this pattern stitched out. I’ve been trying to decide on a reasonable way to do a Baptist Fan. Did you adjust each pass to get the fans closer?

23. Donna says:

It’s lovely!

24. mindingmomma says:

Looks lovely. If you count from when you’ve first got fabric…I’ve got some quilts to be made older than my children!

25. Kathy says:

Frankly, I doubt most quilters really care how long it takes to make a quilt, since quiltmaking is a passion rather than a chore. 😉 Regardless I just love your HST quilt … love it! And the quilting is perfection! I love the Baptist Fan pattern, and this is so reminiscent but with just a little change of pace to make it zing. Well done!

26. selina says:

I am one of those quilters who used to clock how long it took to put together a quilt. Generally the ones that were quick and would be made over and over either for babys or charities. My problem then became wanting to best my best time. I was making myself crazy so I had to stop. But back to the reason I’m here. Your quilt is wonderful. I love how the quilting shows up on the washed and dried version. Well done.

27. katyquilts says:

Thanks, Selina! I have gotten so many interesting answers to this! I sometimes try to keep track but I usually get so lost in the process that I forget! Take care, Katy https://katyquilts.wordpress.com/

28. Pingback: Finish It Up Friday | KatyQuilts