Scrap Busting!

I have a large enamelware container that I have been throwing all my little civil war repro scraps in for my paper pieced log cabin blocks. Now that I have finished these blocks, it was time to deal with that overflowing container. I think it looks worse than when I started! Clearly my 64 log cabin blocks didn’t make a dent!

IMG_2490

Last night, I decided it was time to get to work on this mess. These are all quite small pieces. So I pulled some small dies out for my die cutter and went to work. I have an idea for a quilt using small rectangles so I used this die with the bigger scraps.

And ended up with these.

I also needed 1 1/2″ squares for a project so I used this die on the smaller scraps.

And got these.

I may even use these as leaders/enders.  I had quite a few very skinny strips that I hated to throw out so I pressed them and put them here for a future paper piecing project.

These are all about an inch wide or less. Crazy, I know. Again, I have an idea for for these.

And now that container? It’s empty!  I did throw out all the scraps from cutting the pieces shown above. It’s amazing how much less space this all takes up!

I have another overflowing basket of civil war scraps that I need to tackle but that has much bigger pieces. It will wait for another day.

A while back, hubby brought home these snap together containers. They are perfect for storing precut scraps like those I created last night.

Have a scraptastic a Tuesday!

Linking up with Free Motion By the River.

This entry was posted in Accuquilt Studio Cutter, Scraps, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Scrap Busting!

1. Hmmmm…..we have an accu-cutter at school???? WOnder if if cuts fabric??? I love the convenience and organization of stap together containers too.

2. Cathy says:

I do the same thing. All the scraps for a current project go together. When project is done, cut them down. Can’t wait to see what you do with them!

3. Martine says:

Marvelous! Do you have the baby cutter or the size up?

4. Laughing because I started with a basin kind of like yours (full of scraps) – made blocks – found they somehow turned into even more scraps – and now my basin is a large 2-foot wide x 2-foot deep x 2-foot high basket – FULL. They’re my retirement plan…(or so I tell myself!)

5. Cécile says:

No pity for small pieces !! :)))

6. Janet O. says:

That must feel good! Can’t wait to see what your plans are for these pieces. : )

7. Lois says:

Good job, Katy! What would we do without our Go cutters?? That’s a *great* stacking container. Nice find!

8. Bonnie in Va says:

For Valerie — yes you can actually cut fabric with school die cutters. We had an Ellison and I sometimes used it to cut out simple appliqué pieces. Katy, you’ve done a great job of cleaning up your scraps. I cut a few and then put the rest of the bigger scraps in a box. Every once in a while I cut more. Maybe I should use my Sizzix cutter for taming some of these scraps. Some day…

9. You are so organised (that is a BAD word in my life, the other one is OLD!). You work, have a family and produce copious amounts of quilts. I “dips me lid” as they say here in Oz!

10. Kathy says:

I can’t wait to see what you do with those rectangles. I cut strips to make sashing for those blocks you sent me … I have a one-day retreat tomorrow and hope to get the sashing and blocks put together. 😉