Finish It Up Friday

I love my little finish today! This was the April Challenge for the Small Quilt Talk Yahoo group that I am part of (SQT).

The HSTs and 4 patches finish at 2 inches. I marked the quilting lines with this point turner.

I started by quilting the diagonal lines but I shouldn’t have. Even though I was using my walking foot, starting with the diagonals began to pull it out of square.

So I went back and did all the vertical lines before I finished the diagonals. I didn’t mark the vertical lines, just eyeballed it. As Angela Walters says, close enough is good enough!  And here is the finished quilt.

See that border fabric? On its own, it is not the most exciting print in the world. But it really makes the scraps sing. It is what I think of as a “nothing” print because it isn’t really identifiable, you just know it isn’t a solid. These prints are some of the most useful you can buy.

They are the “servants” of the fabric world. You know how there are people with the heart to serve others. They tend to fade into the background. Their job is often to make others look good. But nothing would look good or happen without them. That is what a nothing print does.  If you see them, buy them!

And here is the back.

Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts, Richard and Tanya Quilts, Confessions of a Fabric Addict.

This entry was posted in Civil War Repro Quilts, Doll Quilts, Finishes. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Finish It Up Friday

1. Kathy says:

What a cute little quilt! I like those “nothing” prints … you’re right, they’re not the “stars” of the quilt but they play a very important role. And the one you chose for your border is perfect … it lets the “stars” shine. And good quilting … you might be able to tell up close that you “just” eyeballed the vertical lines, but I cannot tell from the photos you’ve shared. Well done.

2. Ruth says:

Great tip on keeping your project square. The binding fabric really does work well with your fabrics. Looks lovely!

3. Deb says:

I love the backing! I think I would take turns at displaying the back as much as the front.

4. Lois says:

Love, love, love it! The border fabric pulls it all together and the BINDING makes the design POP! It’s really cute!

5. Lara B. says:

That is a great looking mini Katy! Loving your analogy about “nothing prints” and that fabricvreally is perfect!

I love your new little quilt. Thanks for the tips on the machine quilting. Love your backing too! Hugs,

7. Cécile says:

Everything is cute and lovely in your quilt Katy !! You’re very talented !
    Bravo ! 😉

8. Lu Ann says:

Love how you talk about the servant fabric. So true! Love your little quilt. I must finish mine.

9. GeminiJen NZ says:

Very nicely done! Great work!

10. Judy L says:

Everything works so well together with this quilt, very nice work.

11. kellydyoung77 says:

that’s cute! I really love the toile print on the back!

🙂 Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

12. Anja says:

Great job!!

13. knitnkwilt says:

Love the little quilt and the vintage machine it is shown with!

14. Edwina Finet says:

Katy, I just love your analogy of the background fabric to those who serve others, and your advice is solid. I look forward to your posts each day, and sometimes when I can’t sleep, I get up and watch for your wise words and beautiful work on my handy little laptop computer. THANK YOU!

15. Chantal says:

Congrats on this cute little finish. I love “nothing” fabric too. I call them supporters. They bring out the best in the other fabric and its role shows up so well in this quilt. Great job!!

16. I love your little sampler too!! And I agree with ANgela…close enough is good enough!

17. Louise says:

You chose really well on this quilt, the block prints, border, binding and backing..love them all !

18. Barb Vedder says:

Great Great little quilt – you are right about dull fabrics. the large scale backing is awesome!!!