Design Wall Monday/Getting Things Done

Thank you all for the lovely comments on my wrap up post for 2014. Many of you asked how I get so much done. In short, I drink lots of coffee and my house is not as clean as it ought to be! I also only work 20 hours per week outside the home. My kids are all grown, only Daughter #3 is still at home and she is in college. At least half of the books that I read last year were audio books that I actually listened to while sewing or driving. And I listen to them at double speed. Keeping a blog is my way of keeping my sewing focused. I try to complete one thing each week, even if it is only a small project. I have several projects going at all times so if I get stuck on one thing, I can  move on to the next.

And so, here we are! The first Monday of the New Year and time to get back into the routine of life. I’ve been working on a list of my UFOs as I plan what I want to accomplish sewing and quilting wise this year. One item on that list is the Envelope quilt I started back in November. I started piecing these blocks in a hotel on my way home to visit family. I finished piecing the rest of the blocks this weekend.

/home/wpcom/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/003/5689332/files/2015/01/img_1732.jpg
These are 6 inch blocks and they were made with two identical charm packs (35 squares in each). I don’t remember the fabric line. This may not be the final layout. I can see I had two blocks turned in this picture. I may add narrow white borders or possibly some solid blocks. I will live with it for a few days and think about it.

I did some cleanup in the sewing room this weekend. I can’t work if there is too much clutter.

Today, if the weather holds out, I will be heading down to Lansing to get my long arm serviced. I sure hope I can bring it back home with me as good as new and ready to sew. I’ve got quilts to quilt!

Linking up with Patchwork Times for DWMonday.

7 Responses to Design Wall Monday/Getting Things Done

1. Anja says:

The blocks look great. Can’t wait to see the end result.

2. Jeanne says:

Cutie envelopes! I actually have a red and white envelopes top hanging on my design wall waiting for me 🙂

3. Lois says:

Thanks for sharing some of the details on how you manage to get so much accomplished. Audio books, huh? Now I don’t feel so bad. ha ha I only recently learned that I can watch tutorials on Craftsy at double speed or higher. I know you’re frugal as well as crafty so tell us ~ where you find audio books? The library?

Taking photos of my quilt layouts on the design wall as you did has been such a help to me. I also bought a pair of red lensed glasses to help me with color layout.

4. Kathy says:

I love what you’ve done so far. I’ve never seen that block before … I like it.

Like you, I can’t work well in clutter and chaos.

Good luck getting your long arm repaired!

5. Kathy says:

Oh, and I meant to ask – double speed? How does that work? And you can still understand what’s being said?

6. Therese Pender says:

Kathy, I sent your “years work” to my friend. We were both out of breath. Your machine quilting is also something that makes us green with envy.

7. Chris says:

Love the blocks. They look like little envelopes.