Throwback Thursday

I am traveling today so here is a throwback Thursday showing some VERY old quilts. Way back in 1995 or 96, I decided that I would make a lap quilt for each of my aunts and uncles. I hadn’t seen most of them in years and just wanted them to know that I loved them.As I recall, I decided to do this about 2 months before taking a trip home with my four littles. I had lots of swap blocks laying around so I wasn’t starting from scratch. They were all machine quilted with a walking foot.

It is almost embarrassing now to look back at these quilts. I guess I knew too little about quilting to be embarrassed to give these at the time! I could only locate snapshots of 7 of the eight quilts. I cannot for the life of me even remember what the last one looked like. I know from the thank you note that I saved that it was pink and blue and that it went to My Aunt Mary Ann.

The first one went to my Aunt Marge. The  colors are actually cream and navy blue, although it looks like black in the picture. My Aunt passed away a few years ago and this quilt found its way back to me.

IMG_1199

This one went to my Uncle Hank who has also passed away.

IMG_1205

This one went to my Uncle Joe. He was the oldest of my dad’s brothers and is also gone now. I must have been running out of time because this is so simple. My Aunt Gin was so happy that it matched her living room!

IMG_1206

This one went to my sweet Aunt Angie.

IMG_1204

And this to my Aunt Nancy, my mom’s sister. We always called her Nanny. I still do.

IMG_1201

The next one went to my mom’s brother, my Uncle Arland. He could be crotchety old fellow but I miss him! I think this is my personal favorite of the quilts in this group.

IMG_1203

This last one was made for my Uncle Ralph. He passed away just two weeks ago. My dad said he had this quilt with him at hospice when he passed. IMG_1200

Five of the eight quilts I made went to people that are no longer with us.  These quilts are not my best work. but I am so glad I did not wait until I felt like I had something “good enough.” It would have been too late.

Tell your family that you love them! Have a great weekend.

Linking up with My Quilt Infatuation for Needle and Thread Thursday.

9 Responses to Throwback Thursday

1. Lois says:

Awww…thank you for sharing them with us, Katy. They’re each wonderful in their own way and I’m 100% certain they were/are loved and much appreciated.

2. It is wonderful that you took pictures of them. Back in the day, it was much less common to take pictures of what we created. Who knew that almost 20 years later you would have a blog to share these pictures with others! Your quilts are nothing to be ashamed of; they are very typical of quilts made in that day before quilting was “modernized.”

I love that have shared this post with us. They are all wonderful and made with love and that is what counts. I’m sure they were much loved and appreciated. My favorite is the one to your Aunt Angie, I love the colors. Safe travels! Hugs,

4. Thank you for sharing these lovely quilts and the people you made them for – I have no doubt that the quilts were well loved as in the case of Uncle Ralph who had his quilt with him until the last.
    I take your point regarding not waiting until you have a perfect piece to give and to give what you have made regardless.
    I love all the quilts, but being passionate about houses my favourite is the one you made for Aunt Nancy.
    I enjoy your blog so much – thanks for sharing.
    Pauline

perry94022 at hotmail dot com

5. Alycia says:

Love your throwback thursday quilts!!!

6. Stacey K says:

Thanks for sharing this. I just made three quilts for my parents and my two nieces. My parents are coming in from out of state tomorrow and I’m presenting their Xmas gift a little early. It’s nice to see that these quilts meant so much to the giftees. I love your Uncle Arland’s quilt. Nicely done!

7. Gladie says:

It is in giving we receive…what a loving tribute to your aunts and uncles.

8. barbvedder says:

great throw back quilts – wonderful nine patch quilts!

9. Patty says:

I made two beautiful quilts for my parents. I hope to get them back when the time comes. I pity my brother or sister that feel they should have them some day. I am the only one in my family that can sew a stitch so maybe I should let one of them have them and I can make more? NAH! Your quilts are very special.